cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userwAxRF0WDZU
Constellation

Galaxy S7 Edge battery swelling and getting hot

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The case on my Galaxy S7 is separating quite a bit. I suspect the battery is swelling up quite a bit because occasionally the phone will get extremely hot (almost too hot to hold in its case). I don't know how long it has been like this because it is not obvious in the case I have. I spotted it because I though I might have to eject my micro sd card after the recent Verizon upgrade to Nougat (initially it did not see the SD card) and removed it from its case. Any suggestions on what I should do? I don't want to have it catch fire, but I haven't seen any recal notices for this model.

Thanks,

Tim

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Galaxy S7 Edge battery swelling and getting hot

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So this definitely can happen with a lot of different devices depending on a numerous amount of variables. First and foremost though, you're going to want to take care of your own well being, and not risk any further damage to the phone or your surroundings. Make sure to power it down and remove it from its case completely. If you have already ejected your MicroSD card, that's great. The next step you'll want to do is try to back up the device in general, which you can do using the SmartSwitch PC program found here - http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

Reach out to our Support Team and setup an evaluation for repair of your phone. It's going to need it regardless if it's been separating the back area, and if there is something hardware wise causing this, they'll be sure to find it and repair/replace it. Here's our Support Contact Page where you can locate your region, and the number you should be calling - http://www.samsung.com/global/support/globalcontact.html

If you have a US device,  please feel free to send us a private message with your model and IMEI: http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

145 REPLIES 145
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So this definitely can happen with a lot of different devices depending on a numerous amount of variables. First and foremost though, you're going to want to take care of your own well being, and not risk any further damage to the phone or your surroundings. Make sure to power it down and remove it from its case completely. If you have already ejected your MicroSD card, that's great. The next step you'll want to do is try to back up the device in general, which you can do using the SmartSwitch PC program found here - http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

Reach out to our Support Team and setup an evaluation for repair of your phone. It's going to need it regardless if it's been separating the back area, and if there is something hardware wise causing this, they'll be sure to find it and repair/replace it. Here's our Support Contact Page where you can locate your region, and the number you should be calling - http://www.samsung.com/global/support/globalcontact.html

If you have a US device,  please feel free to send us a private message with your model and IMEI: http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

userwAxRF0WDZU
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I appreciate the suggestion. 

Thank you for your help,

Tim

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You're very welcome! Good luck with everything. Please feel free to update if you'd like.

rgang50
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would like to report battery swelling problem as well with my S7 Edge. It is not getting abnormally hot. But the back is beginning to separate. There is no physical or water related damage. This phone is in prestine condition and is my replacement for the Note 7. So I am conderned and would like the Samsung engineers to look into it. I love the phone and it is shame that this is happening.

Verizon Wireless technicians have looked at the phone and are sending me a replacement. If that works out as a waranty service then I would have little reason to complain about customer service. This is FYI.

rgang50
user9BujP5mFQw
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm experiencing the same and I have reached out to Verizon who said to reach out to Assurion.  Is this a manufacturing defect?  How can I get this resolved?

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi @user9BujP5mFQw  I've reached out to you in a Private Message. Please take a look at it when you can. 

userm4s35mGueK
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

same issue

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there @userm4s35mGueK, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this and I'd like to help. I'm going to reach out to you privately here in a moment and would appreciate it if you would take a look when you have a chance. Please be advised if your device is becoming to warm to touch, I recommend that you discontinue use immediately. 

Highlighted
userGKPo4z46a8
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just got back from a repair center in process of being  a authorized Samsung repair.  Both front and back of case rising on volume control side.  They said battery swelling and to reach out to Samsung. Phone is S7.