cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userBG0WUJQSMJ
Asteroid

Galaxy S7 Phone overheated and Charger Melted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I wanted to share my horrible experience with customer service. End of September/early October I had my phone charging on an open counter in the middle of the evening. I happened to go to get my phone and found the phone off, the charger was bubbly and black and a scorch mark was on the counter where the phone was sitting... I am so lucky that this was not the middle of the night where a fire could have started... 

In any case I promptly contacted Samsung support to start the process of a phone replacement. I found that first tier customer service was not very helpful other than to set up the initial case and offered to have me send in my phone for evaluation. I was eventually contacted by a "special" department dealing with the overheating issues. After having supplied my phone information along with pictures of the damage they mentioned that I could send in my phone for evaluation and replacement but that it would take on average around 10 business days to send in my phone to the point I would receive a new one back. Since the phone was still usable I wanted to seek out other options as we can all relate - in todays era - being without a phone that you use daily for business and home life is a serious inconvenience. 

After spending about a total of 11 hours on hold time, transfers, etc. over the course of a few weeks I was able to get a hold of someone from the special department that had agreed to place a hold on my credit card, send me a new phone with the caviate that I would send the burnt phone back to them as soon as I received the replacement. At which point they would release the hold on my credit card. This was perfectly reasonable to me. I don't know why it took so long to get to this point but it did. However as bad luck would have it... they couldn't actually do it and found that it was because they were out of stock to send the replacement. They did offerer to have me ship my phone to them (which I thought was odd since they said they wouldn't "repair" it but that it needed to be replaced due to the overheating, and if they didn't have any phones to replace with... what good was that?)

So the end result was that I was placed on a list for when new stock was made available. Today (January 30th 2017) I received a call from Samsung at 5:30 AM local time - I took the call as I was hoping that my number had finally been pulled for phone replacement - only to find that it was the standard customer service wanting to know if I wanted to send my phone in for evaluation. 

Absolutely amazing that we are now back to square one after 4 months of waiting and messing around with this. At this point I have about 1 month left until I can get a replacement through my carrier and I am seriously contemplating going with another brand... 

Up until this point I have had nothing but good things to say about Samsung but after having to go through this I have found that they custom service is less than helpful. They are friendly but there is little that they can actually do to resolve an issue)... this has to be one of the most frustrating custom service experiences that I have had to endure...  

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy S7 Phone overheated and Charger Melted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We would like to look into this further for anyone experiencing this behavior. Can you send us a private message with your model code and IMEI number?

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59
Codi
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That just happened to mine, about 5 minutes ago. I caught it maybe 10 seconds sooner than you did yours.

What have you been doing to charge yours in the mean time? Do I risk burning out another charger and maybe my phone or should I get a wireless one? 

That was so scary and weird.  Smiley Sad

Thanks for sharing that it happened to you too.

-codi

userBG0WUJQSMJ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah I ended up getting wireless chargers. I would be scared to have it plugged in overnight... I am hoping I can get the phone replaced. It has been several months now... waiting...

Codi
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good thinking. 

One more question, was the charger cord the original one that came with the phone? Or like an extra one just like it?

They need to get their butts in gear and get you a phone.

userBG0WUJQSMJ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes the charger was the one for the Galaxy S7 phone. 

userBG0WUJQSMJ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Just as an update - I was contacted by a Manager with Samsung and I believe they are working to send me out a replacement... Finally!
Codi
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yay. 'Bout time

Samsung_jLptl9S
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

hey @userBG0WUJQSMJ  I never used this community website till recently so i'm really late to this post, but my galaxy s7 gets hot too should i stop using wired and start using wireless? the weird thing is this phone is only 5 months old. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does it heat up with the device in safe mode?

user6qN8oIPn0B
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Very helpful I am dealing with this right now. On the phone yesterday for 3 hours now told to send in for evaluation but do to the fact that I dropped the phone when it burned my hand and cracked it's now not under warranty. The Verizon manager in store told me to deal with it "all phones get hot" is what I was told. I'm beyond upset. I have a 7 edge. Had to get it when my note was recalled. I don't know if I should send it in for evaluation or not. Any advice?