cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userBGhiNNeWGf
Asteroid

Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge SMS Errors

JUMP TO SOLUTION

There seems to be an issue with the new Nougat update that was rolled out to unlocked S7 and S7 edges in regards to SMS. I have the unlocked S7 Edge (G935U) and using Straight Talk with the Verizon towers. The issue is that every time I send a SMS message, I receive the "Message failed to send" error, even though the text goes through to the recipient. So what happens is I can still have a text conversation, but I have a long list of "failed" messages. However MMS works just fine.

Things I tried to fix:

• Removing and reinserting SIM.
  • Restarting phone, with and without SIM.
  • Tried a different message app. (gives same error.)
  • Wiping Message cache.
  • Wiping system cache.
  • Wiping entire phone.
  • Replacing entire phone (Cracked the screen on the first one, which also had the issue, and replaced it with insurance.)
  • Tried to edit APN settings, but Straight Talk blocks that option from me for some reason.

Like I said, it only started doing this after the Nougat update. On both phones, the phone sent SMS messages fine on Marshmallow. And it seems I'm not the only one with this issue as there are numerous posts on the Galaxy S7 subreddit with the same issues. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/6hnd7g/warning_to_unlocked_gs7_flat_and_likely_edge/?ref=...

I think this issue may lie with the Nougat update.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userBGhiNNeWGf
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge SMS Errors

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Alright, so there seemed to be a software update that rolled out for me and after updating, my text messages are finally working!! Of course, I'm going to keep monitoring this, but so far so good.

Here is a pic of the version I am currently on. 

74 REPLIES 74
Honored Contributor

Re: SMS Errors

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userBGhiNNeWGf

Have you reached out to your carrier about this matter? Straight Talk often has slightly different ways of doing things and even do their own repairs on all of their devices, no matter what company the device is originally from.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userBGhiNNeWGf
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I have, and they claim it's not on their end. And like I said this issue has happened with two different S7 Edges I had on the same Nougat update. They worked fine while still on Marshmallow. I also tried the same SIM in a different Nexus I also own and it sent texts with no issues.
userv4gm7LFNml
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm also having the same exact error. Samsung S7 edge on the Straight Talk Verizon network and since the latest update to Nougat I'm receiving "message not sent" errors when sending SMS. MMS work fine however. Sometimes the SMS are actually going through however, I still receive the same error message. Some messages actually don't go through, but I have no way of knowing which ones actually failed.  I've contacted Straight Talk, I've cleared caches, all to no avail.  

Is this a known bug from the Samsung/Android side? Is there a new update coming out soon to correct this?  I'm getting tired of having an $850 phone I can't even send simple texts with.

userISQYzcu8WL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Also having the same issue with both my unlocked gs7 phones, using total wireless (owned by tracfone, same company as straight talk) using Verizon towers. Factory wipe does not resolve. Happened to both phones after Samsung pushed latest update. Extremely frustrating.

userYoLgYYfDLg
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same thing is happening to me on a s7 edge from at&t.   If I turn off advanced messaging texts and pictures go through just fine.  If I leave it on texts and pictures will get stuck in sending loop and sometimes will send sometimes  wont.  Everything was fine with the phone until the last update.  So my only fix is to leave advanced messaging off until there is a fix

userhj5ftN24z4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Go to the dial pad like you’re going to make a call and dial ##72786# then the call button. It will cycle through a reboot that will reconnect / re-provision to the network. This totally solved the problem!!

flojo0311
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue. I had it for the last 2 months since they rolled out the last 2 or 3 updtaes. If I change my messenger to google messenger all of  my text messages dont come in.

If I send a text picture the person wont recieve it at times. However if I go and use the samsung messages app I don't have any issues. However I can't use the GIF keyboard or my Bitmoji keyboard a well. Just about ready to go to another phone.

userkbMZuKmsiA
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

this is an update error that needs fixing ASAP or I will be buying an iphone

usery1TZnFxcOu
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge SMS Errors

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Exact same problem. I have an unlocked S7. I use Straight Talk, phone uses Verizon's towers. Bought it refurbished through Best Buy in April. Worked perfectly until the update. After the update, the first text will send and get delivered immediately although it will scroll like it’s sending for 2 minutes and say it failed. It takes 2 minutes for every text to send and will only send one at a time. For instance, if I send 4 texts one right after the other, the first one gets delivered immediately, every one after that takes 2 minutes each to get delivered ( 4 texts take a total of 6 minutes). They all come back as failed. I did a factory reset, started in safe mode and everything in between. Talked to all the tech people and their brothers and finally called Samsung. They told me to take it to Best Buy’s Samsung tech guy to have the operating system and update reinstalled . Texting was fixed after that but my gallery and Samsung Cloud stopped working. I dealt with that for a few days and then there was another update installed. Surprise, surprise, now I’m back where I started!! Going to try the reinstall again in couple of days at Best Buy but I’m guessing the same thing will happen. Something in the system is preventing the updates from installing correctly. New phone, only 30 day warranty because it’s refurbished. Anyone find a solution, please pass it on. Thank you.