cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usera0kDZcJXWU
Asteroid

Galaxy S7 overheating, freezing and rebooting when climate temperature warmer than normal

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, first time posting! some back story to get the jist of what the problem is.

I upgraded to the Galaxy S7 last year from the S5 around the same time in February, and it worked like a dream! It still does, but I left to south america in August for three whole weeks to visit family, and that's where it started messing up. The first few hours upon arriving, it worked fine. Then around the afternoon when I went out to eat with family, it would just overheat? I hadn't charged it yet so I wasn't sure what the problem was, so I turned it off and let it cooled down. Turned it back on after it was cool, but it immediately began heating up where the battery was. I was super concerned!! Leaving it on, the battery would drain, the screen would glitch and lag, freeze, and reboot repeatedly, and even make a loud noise before rebooting or until I was forced to turn it off completely. It also became incredibly hot to the touch when left on and just tried to use twitter. Out of those three weeks there, the only time it was back to normal was when I traveled further up to a village where the air was cooler, not as dry or humid, for four whole days. Only for four whole days did it work normal. I couldn't even take enough pictures to take back with me.

My S5 did not overheat or react at all when I brought it to south america? It worked fine. No overheating, not even when I used it for a long time (as per the norm for a social media user). 

When I came back to the states, it was like it's little meltdown was the thing of the past. Until irma striked, and we lost power for two weeks and a half. For those two weeks without electricity, when I would stay at home, my S7 would overheat (not as terribly as when I traveled, but still) and the battery would drain and the swiping motions/keyboard would lag, so I would leave it alone until I traveled to a store with AC and wifi. 

Since then, I haven't been able to go to Sprint to have it get looked because it's worked fine afterwards and I use it for nearly everything, but I would rather get this solved before going back to south america and having it repeat the same actions again. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
usera0kDZcJXWU
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy S7 overheating, freezing and rebooting when climate temperature warmer than normal

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I went to a sprint store yesterday to upgrade my phone. because I truly thought the battery was faulty and didn't want to risk taking it for another international trip, but it turns out the folks I initially took it to get looked at did NOT know that my phone was locked, and I did NOT know I had to call customer care to unlock my phone so I could actually use it during my trip. My phone wasn't faulty to begin with, whoops! 

Problem solved! Thank you for replying and checking up!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
userIZoYPmcNQb
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S7 overheating, freezing and rebooting when climate temperature warmer than normal

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good morning @usera0kDZcJXWU

That is certainly unusual, and I can see why you would be concerned. How was the signal reception when you went to South America? The reason I ask is because Sprint uses CDMA technology, while most other nations use GSM technology. Your phone may have been working itself harder trying to connect to towers, which lead to the warmth of the device. Likewise after Irma, I imagine many cell phone towers were knocked down, which would make the cell phone again work itself harder to maintain a connection. Is it still functioning normally now?

usera0kDZcJXWU
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello! 

The reception was fine when connected on wifi. My S5 was also on sprint but it never did any of what's mentioned above. It's working perfectly fine now too. I'm not entirely sure about the connection since during irma at home, it would work normally at night, assuming since the sun wasn't out anymore and there was no signal whatsoever. 

Thank you for replying! I'd love to investigate this issue further.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usera0kDZcJXWU

So while your phone was connected to the WiFi in South America, it was still heating up, is that correct?

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usera0kDZcJXWU

Hey, just thought I would check back with you. Do you remember if it was heating up while it was using your WiFi rather than the data connection?

usera0kDZcJXWU
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I went to a sprint store yesterday to upgrade my phone. because I truly thought the battery was faulty and didn't want to risk taking it for another international trip, but it turns out the folks I initially took it to get looked at did NOT know that my phone was locked, and I did NOT know I had to call customer care to unlock my phone so I could actually use it during my trip. My phone wasn't faulty to begin with, whoops! 

Problem solved! Thank you for replying and checking up!

View solution in original post