Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
soni5150
Asteroid

Galaxy S7 stuck in recovery boot for hours

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone became stuck in a boot loop which started in the middle of the night 8/7 - the techs at Sprint were able to get the phone to 'recovery booting'  after finding a download screen. I didn't read the screen contents, it was green.  The Sprint techs didn't know what to do next and recommended I take it to a cell phone repair ship. I took it to a repair shop - they too couldn't get it out of the recovery booting and said the OS upgrade bricked the phone. The phone has been in recovery booting for hours and the phone case is very warm. I'm not happy to have a $700 paperweight that is only 1.5 years old and Sprint is making me pay extra to get out of the contract. Any thoughts or suggestions to get this corrected?  Cat Frustrated

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy S7 stuck in recovery boot for hours

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If the device is stuck in a boot loop, a hard reset will need to be performed. Follow the steps below:

1. Power the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Home, Volume Up, and Power keys.
  3. Continue holding the buttons even if the Samsung logo appears. The Android system recovery menu will appear if this was performed correctly, and the keys can be released.
  4. Press the Volume Up or Volume Down key to select wipe data/factory reset, and then press the Power key to make your selection.
  5. Press the Volume Up or Volume Down button to select Yes ��� delete all user data, and then press the Power key to make your selection.
  6. When the reset is complete, press the Volume Up or Volume Down key to select reboot system now, and then press the Power key to make your selection.

Let me know how this works for you!

12 REPLIES 12
soni5150
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm not giving up on this phone. I found out how to wipe the cache and reset back to default factory settings. The phone turns on and steps through the setup wizard - I don't get through the entire wizard before it reboots again. It appears the phone is in a constant boot loop. My thought is once I complete the setup wizard, maybe, just maybe the phone will at least limp along to make a few phone calls or send a few texts. Any ideas out there on how to stop the constant boot looping?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If the device is stuck in a boot loop, a hard reset will need to be performed. Follow the steps below:

1. Power the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Home, Volume Up, and Power keys.
  3. Continue holding the buttons even if the Samsung logo appears. The Android system recovery menu will appear if this was performed correctly, and the keys can be released.
  4. Press the Volume Up or Volume Down key to select wipe data/factory reset, and then press the Power key to make your selection.
  5. Press the Volume Up or Volume Down button to select Yes ��� delete all user data, and then press the Power key to make your selection.
  6. When the reset is complete, press the Volume Up or Volume Down key to select reboot system now, and then press the Power key to make your selection.

Let me know how this works for you!

soni5150
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The factory reset worked, I've been restoring what I can from the cloud. The apps are there, but not all my contacts. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@soni5150; Glad we could help! You may need to go into certain apps and re-sync your contacts. 

Jonathan 3931
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Im stuck in a very similar situation, but the factory reset isn't helping. Starting last night my phone entered a boot loop, and would restart every two-four minutes after the first "Galaxy S7" screen. It gets very hot. This is a standard, unrooted, undamaged stock Verizon Galaxy S7 that was updated OTA with the new Oreo patch a few days ago.

My major difficulty is that I am in a small town in Iceland on business for the next five weeks, so I do not have easy access to any kind of repair center. I have only been using OEM Samsung chargers.

I tried all of these things, and the phone continues to reboot:

1. Wiped the cache partititon many times.

2. Entered safe mode multiple times.

3. After a few hours of this, I realized that I needed to try a factory reset. So I used Smart Switch to thankfully save all my contacts, images, messages, etc. Initially the phone would not stay on long enough to back up, but eventually the phone, while untouched and connected to Smart Switch, worked long enough to back up everything. This took 45 mins to an hour without boot looping.

4. I removed the SIM and SD card, booted to recovery mode, and factory reset the device. It kept rebooting while I tried to set up the phone via WIFI.

5. I let the battery completely die, and then factory reset the device.

5. At this point the device, when plugged into an outlet, continues to restart after a few minutes and stays warm to the touch.

Please help. I desperately need my smartphone, and do not have the funds to buy a new one.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately, with the steps you have already tried, repairs would be our next recommended step userVqxcO9eeBs. Do you have an address in the US that can be used to ship the device to and from your location? I assume you have a US model phone correct?

userq6yKQAUn5r
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I got same problem after Oreo update. T.T

userW6XDyqGcAB
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried everything you said but all that happens is it brings me to a screen where I can either continue the repair, cancel it, or see a barcode and no matter what I choose it just goes straight back to recovery booting please help

userzoEGiJevaP
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

says fail recovery rebbot caused.