Galaxy S8 Default Keyboard keeps resetting

Highlighted
Constellation

Galaxy S8 Default Keyboard keeps resetting

I love my new Galaxy S8+.  But my changes to the default Voice Typing keep getting reset.  Everytime I change my default voice typing (Language and Input->Virtual keyboard -> Manage Keyboards) to Google on and Samsung off, a few hours later this gets reset and Samsung is the default again.

Google Text-to-Speech is far better than Samsung's and this is driving me nuts.

44 REPLIES
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy S8 Default Keyboard keeps resetting

[ Edited ]

This is happening to me as well. I switch to Google voice input and it randomly goes back to Samsung voice input. I've even deactivated all the permissions and default settings but Samsung voice input keeps coming back. This is very annoying. I feel like it's a shady maneuver on Samsung's part to force users into using Bixby. I'm beginning to wish I got a vanilla Android device instead. Just when you thought Samsung was doing something right they throw a monkey wrench into the situation.

Constellation

Same thing here! There must be a fix.. Hopefully root will be discovered and we can do what we want with the device we purchased.

Constellation

Man I thought I was the only one...This is quite annoying.  Samsung, you need to listen to your customers...some people don't want to use bixby which you are trying to force on everyone.  This goes back to not being able to change the "bixby" button to google assistant as well.  The Android experience is all about customization and when you, Samsung, take that away you segregate your valued customers and force them to buy a different phone like the Pixel.

Asteroid

I bet a lot of other people aren't even taking the time to report this issue. 

Asteroid

Glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue, thought I was going crazy at first, I'd keep switching it and it come back, was driving me up the wall.
Honored Contributor

When you installed the Google keyboard, did you go through the whole prompt from the wizard to set it up? Or did you just go to the Language/Input settings to default it from there? Curious, as I've seen something similar, and after installing a third virtual keyboard, I was able to gray out the others, once open the virtual keyboard app itself and letting it sync that way. Then I could default which ever one I wanted, and even after restarting the phone, it never switched back.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

Asteroid

I had not installed another keyboard I was just trying to have it keep using the google voice input, it will let you switch the samsung voice input off and go back to the google one for a bit, but after a awhile it turns itself back on.

Screenshot_20170424-204830.png

Honored Contributor

In the Application Manager, with System Apps showing, are you able to find the Samsung Voice Input and possibly disable it?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

Asteroid

Ahh I though I tried that and the disable was grayed out but didn't noticed there are two in there, was able to disable the 2nd one and reboot a few times and that seemed to work thanks.Screenshot_20170424-210435.png