JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 08-21-2018 04:41 PM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
userkQEfE187SC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Mines does it at home and at work. Tried everything. Didn't fix it. Samsung needs to seriously fix this issue, Cause it's only the 12th and I'm already way past my data usage because it won't stay connected to the wifi. Not having this problem with any other devices. 

0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm using same SSID for my home wifi. Every time I return to home my galaxy s8+ only connects to 2 4 ghz not 5 ghz. The 5 ghz is working because my TiVo is connected wirelessly with 5 ghz. Is there any fix for this? Also I did have separate SSID'S and the phone would give me the Exclamation point for not connected. Is this a problem with galaxy s8 phones?

0 Likes
User89898989
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@timstack Have you tried the "Forget Network" option for the 2ghz network? 

0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Well I'm using the same SSID for both 2.4 & 5 so when I do "Forget" it wipes out for both I believe. So I only have 1 SSID Name set up for my router. When I did have separate SSID and only use 5 ghz I would sometimes get an Exclamation point saying my WIFI was not available.

0 Likes
User89898989
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@timstack Since you sometimes received that "Wi-Fi not available" message, it could be that your phone is just connecting to the 2ghz whenever the 5 drops or is out of range at all. You can switch it back to the 5ghz network from the Quick Settings menu at the top of the screen. 

0 Likes
userDDMuSqELIF
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

And they're still issuing phones with the problem -Samsung A8 2018  has the same issue. Is anybody looking at a class action against Samsung over this problem? 

0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I did the service menu  clear cache thing and it worked for few days but today when I came home phone automatically connected to 2.4ghz. I guess there is no fix?

0 Likes
user3pcgrkqCPc
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I hade the same issu. My solution was to enter the router loggin. (Tp link archer c9) hopfully it works on several routers.

Advace settings - network - Advace - 

then klick use following dns adress and enter 8.8.8.8 in primery dns. Then save.

The explanation mark disapeard.

0 Likes
user7PPzc1UILV
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same problem since second to last update.Wifi will only connect and stay connected when right beside the router.Connection shows full bars .2 s8's in the house both doing the same thing.

0 Likes
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Does this issue occur when using a public wifi?

0 Likes