JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 fingerprint scanner not sensing finger

(Topic created on: 7/19/17 10:26 AM)
user6gSCGOcK6O
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have had my Galaxy S8 for only a few days now. I have been having this somewhat off-and-on problem where my finger sensor doesn't sense anything: notification gestures, or fingerprints. The last time this happened (besides just a moment ago) , I had to restart the phone to get it working again. (Currently, the sensor isn't working.) I haven't read anythin about this, so I am assuming it is actually a hardware-related thing, although it seems to me like a software issue (since it works okay sometimes, and seems to start working again (after having stopped) if I restart it). I would like some kind of solution to this, or at lead to have confirmation that it is not the hardware.

481 Replies
userivFbJEVYrV
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

S8+ owner coming from the Nexus 6p.  Fingerprint sensor going in and out at times is annoying when it was never a problem on the 6p (owned it for about a year).  I experienced this twice since owning the phone on April 19th.  Most recent was yesterday and the phone was recently patched from TMobile (red tint patch).  Instead of rebooting, I just logged in using secondary security, turned the phone on and off, then the fingerprint sensor started working again...  Samsung, please get on it and fix the issue permanently.  Thank you!

Edit: Fingerprint sensor just crashed again, and no solution other than to reboot the phone.  It's pretty irritating for such a premium device.

0 Likes
userkSlX4P0GLf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Having the same exact problem with my new S8. Never had this with my S6 Edge :(
0 Likes
user3cJlDuSkHl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same issue with fingerprint, and the same thing occasionally happens with iris scanner. Always goes back to normal when I reboot, hopefully a software update fixes this.

0 Likes
userzigzXvm9NE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same problem here. Very annoying.

0 Likes
userAu6oRGxs7J
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Disabling Finger print gesture will fix this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIX FIX FIX

0 Likes
user5GAkenEDiu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This just fixed mine

0 Likes
userrNHbyiHG9u
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi, I bought S8 in last week & had same issue. I went to At&t Galary & they told us the setting. It resolved my issue. Try this.

1. Go to Lock screen & security

Next - go to Secure lock setting 

Select first option - Instantly with the power key or when screen times out.

0 Likes
userLuf0fErbJE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm having the same issue. Only able to fix it by restarting the phone.

0 Likes
user8ezJvdXbVO
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same problem here.

0 Likes
CWoodburn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm having the same issue. The sensor does not detect anything, restarting the phone has worked in the past, but it is not working at all now. I've restarted it three times, and tried to add another fingerprint and it won't even detect that I'm placing my finger on it. It jumped to 18% and told me to take my finger off, leading me to beleive that it is stuck on. 

0 Likes