JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 - pin to unlock should dismiss next screen

(Topic created: 03-30-2018 01:30 AM)
userA3D8319JgW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I recently took some time off of android and was using an iPhone 6 for the last year. Now that I've come back, I have to wonder why the pin is so difficult to use on this phone? I don't want to use the swipe to unlock because I feel it's easier for someone to look over my shoulder and copy it.

When the correct pin is entered, it should automatically dismiss to the next screen. I shouldn't have to hit "ok". Also, the buttons should be bigger so that it can be done very casually and quickly.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, please let me know if there's another place where they are taking suggestions for future versions. This is the only thing that bugs me about this phone I love everything else. Currently feel like I have 4 ways to unlock my phone and it still takes too long. 

6 Replies
userfTPcEJKnSe
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
All the functions you just mentioned are present on the phone.
0 Likes
userTIePCUbj6e
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The reason that it doesn't automatically move on after you've entered the correct pin is because it would make it easier for someone to guess the PIN. For example, if your pin is 1234 and someone was trying to get into your phone and decided to try 123456 it would unlock at 1234, but since they have to hit "OK" to submit the pin entry, it means that it will prevent them from gaining access to the phone. So it's a feature that, while personally inconvenient, is important for security and not one that you'd really want to forego.

If you want the quickest and easiest way to unlock your Galaxy S8, I would suggest using facial recognition. It was very quick and fairly reliable - I have had great success with it. If you're worried about the security aspect, then I'd just ask you to seriously consider whether you're in a position where someone would spend the time and resources to try and circumvent this measure via even known methods - eg; it is very unlikely for 99% of people. I think that you'll find that this is the quickest way to unlock your phone, and is no greater a security risk than a pattern or pin.

0 Likes
userA3D8319JgW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello, thank you for the replies thus far.

I just got the Oreo update which solved one of the major issues I brought up here, the pin pad is now much larger and has a much wider detection area which speeds things up. Also, I do currently use a mixture of facial recognition and the pin, I just find more often than not I am not looking directly at my phone, so it doesn't register.

With regards to your comment, I understand how this makes pin more secure, but is it really necessary? I mean with Apple, even when they had Touch ID, they would physically show you how many digits your pin contained. I never saw any complaints about this, especially since you only have like 10 attempts (same situation here too). If you remember that case where the FBI wanted to unlock an iphone, that person had a pin, and even the best of the best couldn't get in. It seems like a small complaint but I am probably going to hit that "ok" button 50,000 times while I own this phone (average of 80 unlocks per day for 2 years) - even if it just takes a quarter of a second to hit that button, that will be 4 hours of my life just hitting an ok button. It's unnecessary. 

0 Likes
Solution
userfTPcEJKnSe
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I don't know if you guys are missing something or that I am missing something but with the pin screenlock you have to options not to click OK.

Settings > Lock screen and security > Screenlock type > Pin > (Press) > Confirm PIN without tapping OK

userA3D8319JgW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I believe this is new to the update as well. Thank you so much I never would have thought to check that. You are awesome.
0 Likes
userFQ1ccaLxi4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My issue is when first setting up, I didn't select the box to turn off the ok, now I cannot get back to that point to check the option anymore.

Ideas?

0 Likes