cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userCLA3pUJTDX
Constellation

Galaxy S9+ cannot update existing contact

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am trying to add a work phone number to an existing contact.  When I click "Save" I get the following error message:

"Unable to save. No phone number entered for emergency contacts."

This particular contact is already saved as an emergency contact and already has a phone number saved for the emergency contact.  I have tried undoing the emergency contact designation, that doesn't help. I've tried turning the phone off and turning it back on.  Help please?

Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
user7joeCjXlvZ
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S9+ cannot update existing contact

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okay so this is one of those moments where user experience is key and they failed.  What the phone is trying to tell you is that the person's phone number isn't saved to the actual phone.  It's a Samsung, or Google contact, but there's no number in the contact information that's on the device storage.  If you look at the tabs across the top when editing your contacts "Samsung | Phone | Google" and touch Phone.  The phone number field is empty, because you're using the contact from your google account, or you Samsung account. 

Screenshot_20190730-131209_Contacts.jpg

16 REPLIES 16
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for reaching out to us, Have you tried clearing the cache of your contact application? Are you using the native contact application that came installed on your device?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userCLA3pUJTDX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am using the native contact application and I cleared the cache by going to apps > contacts> storage > clear cache.  I am still getting the same error message.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you able to add the contact if you go into safe mode? Are you having issues with adding phone numbers to any other contact?

userCLA3pUJTDX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It appears that I can add / edit phone numbers to other contacts.  This particular contact I cannot add nor can I delete anything off of the contact without getting the same error message.

When I go into safe mode, I get the same error messge when attempting to save / edit this particular contact.  I can still add / edit phone numbers to other contacts.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, give this a try.

Go to Settings > Apps > Show system Apps (click on the 3 vertical dots upper right of screen) >
 Phone > Storage > Clear Data and Clear Cache.  
 Restart Phone

Try to delete the contact

userCLA3pUJTDX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Huh...

I have 5 different "Phone" options...now what?

Screenshot_20190226-094607_Settings.jpg

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Clear the data and cache for all 5 then restart your device.

userCLA3pUJTDX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Cleared cache and data for all 5 "phone" apps. Then restarted. 

Still getting the same error message.

userCLA3pUJTDX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I noticed one response had "try to delete contact." I tried, and it deleted.  Guess I'll just re-enter the whole thing. 

Thank you for your time and efforts to help.