Original topic:

Galaxy S9 encryption behaviour changed after factory reset

(Topic created: 05-15-2021 12:50 PM)
userfMZOx5wnEK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello together,

a few days ago I was making a factory reset on my Galaxy S9. Since them I have to enter my pin after restart before the phones boot. I get the following message: "Your phone is encrypted for security. To start up your devince, enter your PIN" (Also see picture end of the post). After entering my phone is booting as usual. But it makes me wondering a bit. Before the  factory reset I was never asked like that. Instead I had to enter my pin after bootup at the lockscreen, same as it's on my Galaxy S20.

I'm really wondering why the behaviuor is different since the factory reset.

So does it means my Galaxy S9 wasn't encrypted before and my Galaxy S20 isn't encrypted right now?

Galaxy-S9-enc.jpg

 Best regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
nopen1278
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
This is a setting called secure startup. If you don't want to put the pin in enduring before your phone boots then turn this option off. It should be somewhere under lock screen and security for the s9. And yes your s9 is encrypted now every time it gets turned off and turned back on.

View solution in context

3 Replies
Solution
nopen1278
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
This is a setting called secure startup. If you don't want to put the pin in enduring before your phone boots then turn this option off. It should be somewhere under lock screen and security for the s9. And yes your s9 is encrypted now every time it gets turned off and turned back on.

View solution in context

userfMZOx5wnEK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks, so does it mean without turning on secure startup and just having a lockscreen pin turned on, my phone is not encrypted and data is accessible when my phone gets lost or stolen?

0 Likes
nopen1278
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
The phone would not be encrypted, but data would only be accessible if someone could unlock your phone or is a good hacker/programmer.
0 Likes