JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S9 shutting down after lock/screen shut off... fingerprint problems? what gives?

(Topic created on: 3/5/19 5:42 PM)
userOZf0qK7Z9X
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

ill start this off with a solution, if your galaxy S9 has started to randomly shut off, shut off when you lock the phone, or shuts down when the screen times out and goes dark. you need to turn off your finger print sign in. this should fix the issue. (I did not find this solution, we can all thank Terri!)

how many people experiencing this issue are using T-Mobile? i updated the phone, and after a theme change, i actually enjoyed the oneUI.... but now, my phone shuts off every time it goes dark. so its either leave the screen on and risk burn in or turn my phone on and off every time i want to use it. obviously this is a bug in the update, but why wouldnt it happen right away? why is it only now....a week or so later that this issue is just popping up randomly, half way through my day?

samsung.....we need a patch fast. this is a security issue. and im sure people will have burn in from leaving their phones on, since they understandably cant turn it on and off 20 times a day like ive done. (literally) HELP US OUT HERE!

63 Replies
useryn1ZHNWKAd
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Nope, still does it

Solution
SamsungJace
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello there, if the device still shuts down while in safe mode and a full factory reset hasn't resolved it I would recommend a service repair on the device. Would you mind sending us a private message here with your full model code and IMEI number so that we can look into what options you have?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

userHZtd1BhPJ3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I shut off the fingerprint sensor and am now no longer experiencing the shut down problem, however now I can no longer use my finger print sensor. 

userIm48ZKvtCT
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same problem all the others have. Suddenly (12 hours ago), my phone started fully shutting down whenever screen lock was activated.  (Related or not, I have been using the fingerprint sensor a lot recently for activation, rather than face recognition or PIN)..

Restarts, soft-resets, cache deletions, app updates, recent app deletions, etc. do NOT solve the problem.

Keeping the phone on at all times does solve the problem

Turning off the fingerprint sensor screen unlock (as advised by others on this site) does solve the problem. One can still use the fingerprint sensor for apps, just not for unlock.

Presumably this is a Samsung software update problem?

Suppose it is possible that this is some combination of phone going bad AND software problem.

But it is useful to have fingerprint sensor unlock operational.

Is there any software patch/update/fix for this from Samsung?

Or does it mean that a number of users phones are going bad in the exact same way ?

userZcVQUBieAJ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My phone has this same issue. How do I get the same assistance? 

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Do you have the fingerprint sensor enabled?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Psychoticwar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This issue has not been resolved. 

0 Likes
user9V0MDNpWJ1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am experiencing the same issue and none of the offered solutions work. I notice this thread is from March though. Was any patch issued for this issue? Do we still have to provide our device information to see what options are available to us?

0 Likes
userUgXhzvrJgg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My S9 just started doing this  after an update last week. I have done a factory restart and wiped all cache. Only solution was to disable the fingerprint and use pattern or face rec. I hate both those options and do not want to have a device i paid $1000 for less than a year ago not operate correctly. Rediculous that it is the only solution from a samsung. 
Is there going to be a software update to fix this in the very near future? If not what are my other options as this is not an acceptable solution for such an expensive device that has to be fully functional for my work. 

0 Likes
userxddkOMLQAY
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This is really disappointing. I have sworn by my galaxy phones but the s9+ has been very unreliable for me, between the 'moisture detected in charger port' that persists for days and will only let me charge wirelessly when my phone hasn't been anywhere near water, and now it wants to reboot constantly if I use fingerprint as a screen unlock... and every time it reboots it triggers the moisture alarm. I will be replacing it with a non Samsung phone. 

0 Likes