cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user6jd54Zp5PM
Constellation

Galaxy Store, Galaxy Wearable Permissions

I'm now being required to grant the Galaxy store and Galaxy wearable apps permission to access my contacts.  How do I avoid this?  I cannot grant this permission -- not only is sharing this information with Samsung a fundamental violation of the privacy rights of every single person on my contacts list, but it's also a violation of my company's IT  security policy. 

I need to be able to use and manage my phone and my wearable device I purchased without granting these permissions.

4 REPLIES 4
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy Store, Galaxy Wearable Permissions

The Wearables app requires permission to access contacts because that is a function of the watch so that you can send/receive texts and calls, as well as other notifications. The Galaxy Store requires access to contacts to allow you to share apps with your contacts. Neither of theses will work without granting the permissions. This information is not provided to Samsung in any way.

https://www.samsung.com/us/account/privacy-policy/

user6jd54Zp5PM
Constellation

Your privacy policy does not agree with what you're saying here.  The privacy policy explicitly has users agree that by using the services, Samsung may have access to our contacts, among other information.  Specifically, "When you purchase a Samsung product, create a Samsung Account or register for or use a Service, you may provide us with personal information such as: . . . information you store on your device, such as photos, contacts, text logs, touch interactions, settings and calendar information;".

So to use these applications, we have to agree to this privacy policy which gives Samsung the right to access our contacts, and then you make us give Samsung permission in the device settings to access the contacts data.  There is no need for this.  I will never share applications with my contacts, and the Samsung watch I have does not have the functionality to send calls or texts.  Furthermore, these applications worked fine previously without this contacts permission. 

Furthermore, it's very, very common for businesses to restrict their users from granting the contacts permission.  Even if it wasn't a gross privacy violation, I and many other business users are not permitted to grant this permission.  I need to know how to use these applications without granting the contacts permission.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

The apps cannot be used without granting the permissions.

user6jd54Zp5PM
Constellation

Then Samsung has made my watch worthless via update. What an utter joke.  This does NOT resolve my problem.