Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userJiNRMWVmo6
Constellation

Galaxy s7 Screen Broken/ How Can I Transfer All My Data

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, recently I dropped my Galaxy s7 on its back onto concrete and the screen recieved minor cracks, but it will not turn on and is completely black.  The phone is still working and I want to transfer all my data/files to my computer.  I tried doing this already, but when I open the Samsung Phones files on my computer, it shows up blank and this is probably due to the cause that you have to switch the USB option on the phone to "file transfer."  Obviously, my screen is not working, so I am not able to give the computer access to the files on my phone.  Is there any way to transfer all my data/ files from my phone to the computer when the screen on my s7 is not operating?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Galaxy s7 Screen Broken/ How Can I Transfer All My Data

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah, Smart Switch & Side Sync are like the two official tools we have that sort of try to help with this, but without access to your screen it makes it very difficult it would seem. I'm going to go a bit off the beaten path on this one to suggest this, only if you're willing to at least...

It's going to require that your phone already had USB Debugging enabled on your phone previously though. The fine folks over at the XDA Dev forums seem to have a program that was created for this very thing. If you did have USB Debugging enabled, take a look at the program here, it's not guarantee for anything though, but you can find out more information on steps here - 2 Ways to Access Android Phone w/ Broken Screen

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

24 REPLIES 24
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It may have a pin or security thing in place when you try, but give SideSync a go - http://www.samsung.com/us/sidesync/

This will allow you to plug and hook your phone up to be viewable on your computer. If you're able to get this working, you should be able to access Smart Switch and do a nice easy backup.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

userJiNRMWVmo6
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried using SideSync and connected my phone to the computer with a USB cable, but it's not connecting.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you getting any sort of error messages when it doesn't connect, or does it just not do anything when plugged in?

userlUwzYlJ7wv
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having similar issue.  my phone's screen is totally unusable.  we purchased a new phone to replace it but the service provider was unable to transfer the data.  so, i'm searching for ways to do it myself.  I downloaded the SideSync software to my computer and connected the phone via USB.  However, the instructions for using the software are to open the softwared on the device i'm connecting - but I can't because the screen is unusable.  Is there a solution to move the data from the phone without having to interact on the screen of the phone?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah, Smart Switch & Side Sync are like the two official tools we have that sort of try to help with this, but without access to your screen it makes it very difficult it would seem. I'm going to go a bit off the beaten path on this one to suggest this, only if you're willing to at least...

It's going to require that your phone already had USB Debugging enabled on your phone previously though. The fine folks over at the XDA Dev forums seem to have a program that was created for this very thing. If you did have USB Debugging enabled, take a look at the program here, it's not guarantee for anything though, but you can find out more information on steps here - 2 Ways to Access Android Phone w/ Broken Screen

userVOB6AupHuA
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

irresponsible promoter for the untrusted website you mentioned. You are asked to suggest simple and free options not trying to collect money.

Bat-man
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same problem with my S7. the Wondershare apps don't have an option for S7 and doesnt do anything when you enter the device details manually. Smart Switch and Side Sync dont work. Surely there is a way?

I logged a query before seeing this post:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/S7-Screen-unresponsive/m-p/213596

Thanks

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userHMH4811oDX

Smart Switch and Side Sync would require you to still be able to unlock the device. If the screen is broken bad enough to not be able to unlock the device then those won't help. 

Anyone else in the Community have a workaround or suggestion though?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userNnN2X0uyEG
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The connection of a mouse via OTB is a great way to access a screen that is non responsive, but if you have a cracked or black screen, one cannot see where to direct the mouse.  Therefore, ineffective for those issues.