Galaxy s8 keeps restarting by itself

Cosmic Ray

Re: Galaxy s8 keeps restarting by itself

What I don't understand is Samsung apparent lack of interest in solving this problem. The only explanation is that they have so many different problems most likely bigger ones that we are just too low on the prority list. Think about it - how many different people are there here? How many of us following this forum? Thousands? Certainly not. Hundreds? Unlikely. Perhaps 30 or 40 would be my guess. That's nothing when you consider they recalled 1.5 million Note 7 that they sold in about two months. And even when you consider that there are other forums, and probably hundreds of people who simply return phones without thinking twice once they realize the phone is defective - chances are it is still statistically insignificant percentage, let's say one hundredth of a 1 percent. Or less.

I might be wrong of course, having two phones in a space of four days do the same thing is mind boggling - especially since I am not the only one. But perhaps it's just a small bad batch with the bug and the rest of the world is fine? I got both of my phones from the same t-mo shop three days apart. They may have come from the same box for all I know.

I miss my Note 7. It was rock solid. No issues whatsoever. Perfect phone. I had it until last week when I finally turned in for this S8 fiasco cause I thought that there was finally a phone good enough to replace it. What a mistake that was. 

Right now, my S8+ is holding fairly well. I had one 100% positively documented restart as it happened in front of my eyes in a week since I factory reset my phone. I also have a suspicion I had a couple more when I wasn't looking since I have smart security enabled and I shouldn't have to have a lock screen when my Bluetooth is connected and yet I get that a couple of times a day.

Does any of you ladies and gentlemen have a good way to tell whether the phone restarted or not or better yet when? Uptime does not get reset with these restarts. My power chart does not show any interruptions either. If there is a restart when you don't see it how can you tell?

Because if there is a reasonable explanation for my lock screen with full notifications list a couple of times a day I would consider it fixed. Before, it would restart a couple of times a day right in front of my eyes, while browsing Internet, just unlocking it, during calls, etc. It hasn't done any of it. Come to think about it - it hasn't done it at all when I am using it (with that one single exception that I saw)...

As a mater of fact if it wasn't for my paranoia maybe the phone is OK now?

It just dawned on me that my Note 7 I too had to unlock a couple of times a day with Smart Security enabled - just didn't pay attention to it. So, maybe there is an explanation for such behavior? Please advise.

Astronaut

[ Edited ]

Mines doing it too and I'm in florida,  so hell if I know but it needs to get fixed, so not happy.

Constellation

userldg9Ih8kiA wrote:

Im assuming all of the affected people are from the U.S and buying their phones through carriers?

people in korea and other parts don't have this problem. I live in the middle east and we get the international version (g950F) with samsung exynos chips.

could this issue be related to the snapdragon chips?

or perhaps the issue arrises when carriers use their own ROM instead of the untouched one like the international one?

Following this post. I live in the Philippines and I am also interested with the feedback from people outside the US. 

Constellation

@S8 Mage

Want to know if it's restarting? Enable finger print scanner as your unlock. Once you do that, any time your phone restarts it will require your passcode as opposed to reading your fingerprint to unlock the device. Hopes this helps you! I'm still returning mine today. 

Constellation

I've had mine for over a week and it restarted this morning by itself. I remembered that I just recently changed the theme so I'm wondering if that's the issue. I changed it back to the default theme to see if it does it again. I'm just glad my alarm went off before rebooting. I have an sd card installed too but it's been in there a few days now so I don't think that's the problem. 

Constellation

[ Edited ]
userknw65m5nKU wrote:

I've had mine for over a week and it restarted this morning by itself. I remembered that I just recently changed the theme so I'm wondering if that's the issue. I changed it back to the default theme to see if it does it again. I'm just glad my alarm went off before rebooting. I have an sd card installed too but it's been in there a few days now so I don't think that's the problem. 

Could you update us asap please if it still faces the issue

Constellation

[ Edited ]

I am in the UK on the Vodafone network. I am on my second S8 and get restarts frequently.

It can do it midway thru a call - upon opening an app - during the night - seemingly no logic at All!! I do not have an SD card fitted.

I have tried most everything suggested on this forum without success!

I am not an expert by any means but what I notice is that the phone freezes for a few seconds then the disolving samsung logo appears and within seconds the phone is working again - it's not- in my view - a normal shutdown and restart - odd as it sounds it seems to restart without having shutdown first. In other words it doesn't go thru the entire shutdown procedure in the same way if you restarted the phone yourself.

I may not be explaining too well but hope it makes some sense to someone because it is driving me insane! I will give it a few more days and then return it to Vodafone again!!

Highlighted
Asteroid

@S8 Mage

Maybe you are right that not too many of users having this restarting issues, maybe there are a lot that they just keep quiet.  Like I mentioned couple pages before, remember, this is not a issue that will cause life threatening or will be harmful to the public safety, so the US government or (FCC) will NOT step in.  I guess for any company, for the business profit purpose, they will let the users deal with it only unless they found some simple solutions that cost them just a bit; otherwise, they will just let it be because there are still majority of users that are not complaining; however, as a user, a smart choice will be just return it and get full refund, this was what I did.  Dont want to spend $1,000 on a phone that may restart during important phone calls, in the middle of filing applications, payments, bidding on eBay etc.  a phone that suppose to help you in your life but turns out to give you frustration everyday.  Plus you dont want to wake up and worry about would my phone restart when I am having a job interview over the phone?  

Constellation

I am in Hawaii and in my second S8+ now won't even turn on or off, just with the "samsung S8+" on the screen on all the time (AT&T)
Cosmic Ray

I've sent two emails to Samsung to notify them of the situation and still haven't received a reply. Has anyone else sent an email and got a response? This is driving me nuts