cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Red Giant

Re: Google Play services consuming abnormal battery life

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi @usercip7JUO5VI Would you mind sharing your device's current baseband version with us? Have you placed the device in Safe Mode?

userKml9USVimS
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Maybe we should all start blasting Google with phone calls to resolve the issue and then maybe some one will do something to fix this problem. 1-855-836-3987 is Google's number.

userKml9USVimS
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

And another possible solution....perhaps Samsung and all the other cell phone brands should get up Googles butt to find a solution for this problem. I had to go back to my stellar HTC MyTouch 4G slide while waiting on my Samsung Note 8 exchange process and I am now having the exact same issue with my MyTouch, which in all the years I've had that phone, since 2001, have NEVER BEFORE had this issue!

The problem is GOOGLE !!!!!!

userKml9USVimS
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think we all should post all of this on Facebook, Twitter, etc. and make it go viral.  Then maybe someone will pay attention. I'll go first...lol

userUufWUv9pDF
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This exact problem showed up on my S7 and my wife's S8+ at about the same time late last fall, shortly after receiving a software update.  None of the suggestions here (or elsewhere) seemed to work and I wasted a lot of valuable personal time investigating this.

What eventually worked for me (on both phones) was to revert back to the stock version of Google Play Services [Settings > Apps > Google Play Services > "Vertical Ellipsis" > Uninstall updates]

Battery has been phenominal for weeks now, and AFAIK all of my google services still work normally (Gmail, Calendar, etc).  I have auto-updates turned off, which presumably is also required.  I suspect there is some kind of bug in that version of Google Play services itself that causes it to get stuck in an infinite loop and suck up all your battery (but I'm not an android dev so who knows).  Maybe they'll even fix it someday...

My S7 is running Android 7.0

Dmytro2018
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Dear Samsung Support,

I have just got a new Samsung Galaxy S7, pre-installed with Android 7.0. Got setup my Google Account and all the apps, and noticed extremely abnormal battery usage (see attached). I have tried everything suggested on this thread, and a few other forums - nothing helped. 

Upon examining each application one by one I found four offenders:

OM Customize
Device Maintenance
Gear VR
Knox

Each consuming 10% of battery with total battery consumption ~70%. The other remaining offenders are Google Play Services (~21%), and Settings (~10%), which I think are caused by Samsung as well. 

I am extremely dissapointed. Great hardware, awesome design, excellent screen. But you ruined it with bloatware. How can I uninstall Samsung software? I can't do it. Looks like the only solution is to return the phone to store.

Please help before I do that.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there @Dmytro2018 If your device has a custom software installed, I would highly recommend returning the device back to the place of purchase. Customized software or any type of APK modifications done to your phone will void your warranty and limit the support we can offer.

Dmytro2018
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Dear Samsung Court,

What makes you think the phone has custom APK? I just got this phone from an official distributor with 2 year warranty. 

Anyways, I have went into the phone settings, and disabled:

- Always On Display

- All "Advanced Features"

- App Power Monitor

Battery performance is way-way better now. However, I am still unable to disable following services:

OM Customize
Device Maintenance
Gear VR
Knox

The most annoying is Gear VR, which neither I need, nor do I use or ever launched. However, on 40% of batery used, Gear VR consumed 5%. That is quite high amount of energy wasted for nothing. Please see screenshots.

Thank you

Highlighted
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I apologize for my confusion @Dmytro2018 I misunderstood the "OM Customize" as something else.  Disabling those apps is a great place to start; there's also a thread here that talks about Battery Saving Tips and Tricks that you can implement to try to get more time out of your battery.

Rprice51
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Google Services was killing my battery. I rolled back all the updates to Google Services to the beginning (S5 running marshmellow) then re-updated when it asked and voila' my battery percentage went from 34% to 1%.