cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coinmanmat
Cosmic Ray

Google Play services consuming abnormal battery life

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I have a Galaxy S6 Edge Plus that I am using currently and I noticed that my battery life has been not too stellar. When I checked what was eating at the battery I discovered Google Play services is the culprit. Has anyone else experienced this or has an answer for this?Screenshot_20170412-113501.png

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Google Play services consuming abnormal battery life

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there @coinmanmat

I've seen this happen before. Often times we can narrow it down pretty fast though!

• Is Google Play Services eating battery because you have more than one Google Account?

Play Services’ main job is to download things in the background. Those things could be your emails or notifications. If your device is connected to multiple Google Accounts, for example because you have personal and work accounts or because you’re a spy or superhero with multiple identities, then Google Play Services is having to do all that for multiple accounts.

• Is a third party app misusing Google Play Services?

If the battery drain is a recent development the problem might not be with Google Play Services but with one of the apps that uses it. Try booting into Safe Mode; if your battery problem goes away that’s a pretty big hint that the Google Play Services battery problem is down to a third party app.

• Is Google encountering Sync errors?

Sync errors are when Google tries to synchronize data but can’t, for example because it can’t connect to a particular server. Removing and re-adding accounts can solve persistent sync errors but before you do that, try disabling Mobile Data in Settings for a minute and then turning it back on again.

• Is it your GPS?

When an app needs your location, it requests it through Google Play Services, which gets the information by using your GPS hardware. Using GPS takes up a lot of battery, and since Google Play Services facilitates this process, it can appear to be taking up the battery life when the GPS is really the culprit.

• Are you using a 3rd party task killer app?

Task killers are supposed to disable unwanted processes, and they do – but sometimes the result of killing a task is that it immediately starts back up again, so you end up making your phone work even harder than before. That’s an easy one to check: if you've downloaded one, try disabling it and see what effect it has on battery life. If you didn't download one, you can ignore this step.

• Are you running a 3rd party security software?

Security software has an effect on battery life because it’s always on. Like Windows, the threat of malware on Android is blown out of proportion: if you don’t download from dodgy app stores and don’t open unexpected attachments, the risk of infection is very small. As with the task killer, try disabling your security software (again, if you downloaded one) and see what happens.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there @coinmanmat

I've seen this happen before. Often times we can narrow it down pretty fast though!

• Is Google Play Services eating battery because you have more than one Google Account?

Play Services’ main job is to download things in the background. Those things could be your emails or notifications. If your device is connected to multiple Google Accounts, for example because you have personal and work accounts or because you’re a spy or superhero with multiple identities, then Google Play Services is having to do all that for multiple accounts.

• Is a third party app misusing Google Play Services?

If the battery drain is a recent development the problem might not be with Google Play Services but with one of the apps that uses it. Try booting into Safe Mode; if your battery problem goes away that’s a pretty big hint that the Google Play Services battery problem is down to a third party app.

• Is Google encountering Sync errors?

Sync errors are when Google tries to synchronize data but can’t, for example because it can’t connect to a particular server. Removing and re-adding accounts can solve persistent sync errors but before you do that, try disabling Mobile Data in Settings for a minute and then turning it back on again.

• Is it your GPS?

When an app needs your location, it requests it through Google Play Services, which gets the information by using your GPS hardware. Using GPS takes up a lot of battery, and since Google Play Services facilitates this process, it can appear to be taking up the battery life when the GPS is really the culprit.

• Are you using a 3rd party task killer app?

Task killers are supposed to disable unwanted processes, and they do – but sometimes the result of killing a task is that it immediately starts back up again, so you end up making your phone work even harder than before. That’s an easy one to check: if you've downloaded one, try disabling it and see what effect it has on battery life. If you didn't download one, you can ignore this step.

• Are you running a 3rd party security software?

Security software has an effect on battery life because it’s always on. Like Windows, the threat of malware on Android is blown out of proportion: if you don’t download from dodgy app stores and don’t open unexpected attachments, the risk of infection is very small. As with the task killer, try disabling your security software (again, if you downloaded one) and see what happens.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

coinmanmat
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungViv you know what actually fixed the problem was when I got a software update. Last night I installed the Android 7.0 Nougat update and after that Google Play services no longer shows up on my battery usage. Screenshot_20170413-062714.png

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that things are back on the up and up!  Smiley Happy

user6vjXC6Eov2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I came across this post because I am having the same problem. I have S8+ and Andriod 7.0 with everything updated. Google and Google play services are using the most battery. I went through the list above and changed my GPS settings but the phone is still running hot which means the CPU is running more than normal. I'm not sure what else to do. 

Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user6vjXC6Eov2

Can you please include a picture of your battery usage chart? Then we can look this over with you more.  Smiley Happy

user6vjXC6Eov2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here is a snap of the battery usage for last 3:45 minutes. The phone hasn't gotten overly hot today. I woke up this morning with the CPU usage warning and Google Play Services was at 25% usage.....while i was sleeping 

user6vjXC6Eov2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

20 minutes later with some normal use. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Out of curiosity, did you take these screenshots after turning on Bluetooth, or was it on all night? Try toggling Bluetooth off when not actively in use to help out.

user6vjXC6Eov2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Bluetooth has always been on for me. Car and watch both use it.