JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Google Voice typing: prevent Google App from updating

(Topic created: 07-13-2021 12:45 PM)
userOfANnd41jt
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello.  I have a problem with voice typing using Google.  It is the same problem as outlined here:  https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/Google-Voice-Typing-suddenly-different/td-p/1679434

The solution that was posted to the above referenced issue temporarily fixes the problem (uninstall updates to the Google App). However, the Google App constantly updates itself, despite the fact that I have turned off auto-updates in the Play Store.  So I have to constantly go back and uninstall updates to the Google App.  Does any one have suggestions about how to prevent the Google App from updating itself? 

Since I frequently use voice typing, this is a very cumbersome issue for me.  I have tried to use Samsung Voice Typing instead of Google Voice typing, but that apparently requires a Wi-Fi or Data connection, which I don't consistently have.  My phone is actually a Galaxy S10e. 

I'm not an expert on android phones.  I suppose I could figure out how to root my phone but I'd rather avoid that if I can - I really don't think I have the time to figure it out.  This is my first Samsung phone.  I accustomed to a Google Pixel which apparently allows more user control over factory installed apps. 

0 Likes
4 Replies
Blue7
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S Phones

so are you trying to preventing it from updating to the latest version? is there a reason that you don't want the latest update? i'd contact Google regarding this though

0 Likes
userOfANnd41jt
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Yes, I do not want the latest update to the "Google" app because it causes Google Voice Typing to malfunction.  This problem was outlined in the above-referenced post as well in this post that I just discovered:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/I-have-to-UNINSTSALL-the-Google-Update-2-3-time-...

I did search the Google forums.  They recommended uninstalling updates to the Play Store.  I tried that and it worked for 24 hours, but apparently the Play Store automatically updates itself once a day even if Auto-Update is turned off.  Next, I will try to force stop the Play Store.  But I have to wait another day to see if it auto-updates itself or not. 

0 Likes
KirbysMom
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi, I know this is a month after you wrote this, but I have the SAME problem and it's so frustrating.  I have the Galaxy S9.

I have to uninstall the Google updates every day also.   it used to be you could uninstall the update and it would last awhile, but now I have to uninstall every single day.

Does anyone have a better solution?

0 Likes
Solution
userOfANnd41jt
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Yes, the solution is to uninstall updates to the Play Store App, then disable it.

This solution must be re-implemented anytime another app is downloaded or updated. 

View solution in context

0 Likes