Original topic:

Google maps : GPS signal lost when phone locked galaxy s10 plus

(Topic created: 09-24-2020 11:15 AM)
userFlAwsEP1si
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi Team,

During maps navigation,  each time I lock the phone ,Google maps states that GPS signal is lost and my navigation stops. Navigation works fine as long as the phone is unlocked. Power mode = high perfomance / optimized with adaptive power saving off.

Reinstalling maps  and phone factory reset did not resolve the issue .

Model : SMG975F

0 Likes
14 Replies
SamsungRei
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you for the additional information! Try the troubleshooting steps here and let me know if the issue persists. https://www.technobezz.com/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-s10-gps-issues/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
ZoemZoem
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It looks like the problem still exists. I also experienced problems with the Galaxy S10 with my new developed app: on the Galaxy S7 all works well. GPS keeps working after turning off the screen and locking it. But on the Galaxy S10 after a while not using the app, screen is turned off and locked. In the mean time no GPS signal is received. Only when the screen is on GPS signal is received. All advices in this thread and other inernet pages were tried out, but nothing seems to work. Power optimizing turned off and my app is allowed to use energy as much it wants (Settings/.../Battery). In my app I am using a foreground service to receive GPS signals. Trying a Workmanger/Worker also did not work.

What can I to make things work on a Galaxy S10?

0 Likes
HangSolo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

NOPE.

I disabled my optimization in my battery, moved everything out of sleeping apps, cleared caches, moved everything to approved positions, and nothing at all has stopped my GPS from failing to work the moment my screen goes off.

0 Likes
userGIFIxxtuRW
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am having a similar issue with my Polar heart rate monitor and my Galaxy S10 (Android 11). The Polar Beat and Flow apps access the GPS during runs, but if I lock the screen, which is preferable, both app are unable to access the GPS.

I verified that both apps are in the "Apps Not Optimized List". They are not in any of the sleep or deep sleep lists. Both apps have full GPS location access, and are not limited to location when the app is in use. I even tried turning off the adaptive battery settings.

I turned off putting unused apps to sleep. I also see that in the app battery settings, the "Allow background usage" appears to be on, but is grayed out, for both apps.

I am unable to add them to the list of never sleeping apps because Polar Flow/Beat aren't listed with the other apps that you can add.

0 Likes
buelensc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I've got a similar problem with a Samsung A40.

I use GPS Essentials to get a GPS track when on a trip (and later feed the track to GeoSetter so that my photos get a geotag assigned to them). These days, the track is fine the first hours of a trip, and then all of a sudden, my track is incomplete.  Google's location history is bad then too, so it is not GPS Essentials fault.  And, yes, GPS Essentials is in the list of apps not optimized for battery saving; and that works, because, the first hours of every day the GPS track is perfect, and the screen is off most of the time off.

Yesterday, I found out that the track stopped when the battery was at about 50%.  The previous days I also saw that tracking started to get problems around 1 to 2 PM, but I didn't look at the battery level then, chances are high it was around 50% then too.

So yesterday after I saw this 50%, I kept the screen active, and the logging was OK then.  As soon as I dimmed the screen, the logging stopped. I carry an extra battery with me, and I connected the A40 to it; I kept the screen on while the battery was charging, and the GPS log was fine all the time.  When the battery was at 70%, I dimmed the screen and the logging kept on going for the rest of our trip (and battery level was still 60% at the end of the trip).

So, my conclusion is that the GPS no longer gives data to the apps (Google location, GPS Essentials, ...) when the screen is dimmed and the battery is lower than 50%.

The question now is, how do I tell my Android to keep the GPS going when the battery is lower than 50% and the screen is off.

0 Likes