cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userjPeoo0x8cj
Constellation

Google play service is constantly running and draining battery

I lose about 1.5 percent battery life at idle over night no matter what I do. I always have MANY hours of background Google play services listed under battery device care. I have done factory resetting with no help. I just can't find and fix this battery usage issue. Any ideas? 

6 REPLIES 6
Honored Contributor

Re: Google play service is constantly running and draining battery

@userjPeoo0x8cj wrote:

I lose about 1.5 percent battery life at idle over night no matter what I do. I always have MANY hours of background Google play services listed under battery device care. I have done factory resetting with no help. I just can't find and fix this battery usage issue. Any ideas? 

Your phone loses 1.5% per hour or for the whole night?

userjPeoo0x8cj
Constellation

I lose 1.5 per hour .

Honored Contributor

@userjPeoo0x8cj wrote:

I lose 1.5 per hour .

1) First check if your google play store app is updated. Go to the app, tap menu(3 lines on the top left), then settings and tap on "play store version"

2) Try to see if you can clear data of Google Play Store app.

Tap and hold play store app shortcut on your home screen. Then when context menu appears, tap on App info. Then go to storage, force stop it and clear data.  Restart device

Samsung Care Ambassador

Google Play Services has a habit of draining battery. However, considering the number of processes relegated to this core app it's not unexpected. For example, PS is responsible for FCM (formerly known as GCM) which is basically a type of tool for devs. 

You can try disabling usage data access, background data, Apps that can appear on top, and some permissions (storage, body, logs, mic etc.) for Play Services. If you're on Oreo/Pie you can also add apps to Sleeping Apps @userjPeoo0x8cj .

If my reply has aided your issue please consider liking it. If the problem is solved you may pick it as a solution.
userjPeoo0x8cj
Constellation

I have tried the suggestions listed above and unfortunately none of those ideas have helped. Google play services run for every minute of the day in the background. I tried the factory reset 2 times. One time I didn't add any apps at all for 2 days and still the same results. Granted 12% lose over night is not crippling but its still annoying. 

Honored Contributor

@userjPeoo0x8cj wrote:

I have tried the suggestions listed above and unfortunately none of those ideas have helped. Google play services run for every minute of the day in the background. I tried the factory reset 2 times. One time I didn't add any apps at all for 2 days and still the same results. Granted 12% lose over night is not crippling but its still annoying. 

@userjPeoo0x8cj 

You can either wait for Google Play Services update or you can also see if you can disable or uninstall Google app(this app at times has connections to a battery drain as well)