cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

How does the Step counter on S7 edge work?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What good is the step counter in S Health (Galaxy S7 edge) if you can't set your pace/stride?  If there are such settings to be made where are they?

I suspect it is all done by a gps algorithm of average steps over a gps tracked distance that also figures calories?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Neutron Star

Re: How does the Step counter on S7 edge work?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Accuracy of step counter in terms of how many steps you took? I have tested it a few times and it is accurate with 10℅ tolerance.
Since GPS tracks your location pace is no longer a factor. Accuracy of steps really doesn't matter to much in details because you most like looking for certain amount if improvement. Let's say you want to double your step counts.
Frankly the whole step counting is becoming irrelevant in my view. I want to know how much I walked. GPS tells me that.

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Susan, what is the objective you have?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Superman wrote:
Susan, what is the objective you have?

Fair enough...  I'm wondering if the total steps is at all accurate (or if that even matters) but couldn't find any way of setting my step.  I think I may be answering my own questions here.  So, what started this was noticing there was no way of setting your step or pace but now I'm thinking that doesn't matter?  Is the calorie estimate more/less accurate?

On second thought the real objective may just be what the accuracy is?

Highlighted
Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Accuracy of step counter in terms of how many steps you took? I have tested it a few times and it is accurate with 10℅ tolerance.
Since GPS tracks your location pace is no longer a factor. Accuracy of steps really doesn't matter to much in details because you most like looking for certain amount if improvement. Let's say you want to double your step counts.
Frankly the whole step counting is becoming irrelevant in my view. I want to know how much I walked. GPS tells me that.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for that clarification.  I'd next and related like to know how accurate the calories burned over a distance/time is?  Are the algorithm(s) pretty good now for steps, walking, hiking, sleeping, biking, swimming, rowing, treadmill--these are all the ones I currently use.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I don't have an issue with the number of steps. I don't really care. I'm interested in the distance and the distance is wrong. Used two different GPS trackers at the same time Samsung Health showed 1.8 miles the other two showed 1.98 miles and 2.0 miles. Another  time on the same route, Samsung Health showed 1.54 miles . So the GPS tracker is not very good in Samsung health

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Fitzy+ app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=plus.fitzy.fitzy_app ) has made my old Galaxy S7 relevant again. I can check my steps, pace, cardiovascular health now. Good that there are still some app developers who think about old devices like Galaxy S7. @SusanS7e