JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to turn off icon frames?

(Topic created: 03-14-2019 09:46 PM)
pjniez
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm loving my Galaxy S10+ and I'm really liking the Samsung One UI. In fact, this is there first phone in which I haven't immediately switched to Nova launcher! However, I can't stand how the phone is putting frames around all of my icons - even on the icons of the non-Samsung apps. Some of them look ridiculous with the frames! Is there a way to turn off the icon frames if third party apps? If so, how???

19 Replies
userK2JdW267tJ
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi @pjniez and @Rydah 

I tryed QuickShortcutMaker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut) , but the icons still the same with the frames in my Galaxy S10+plus. So What can I do??? 😞

Thanks

pjniez
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hmm... Upon further review, this setting only removed the frames on some app icons. But not for others. Any idea why this setting is able to remove the icon frames for some apps and not for others?

Your solution is a good workaround. But ideally the real solution should be that this setting should not be hidden. It should be available to us to change directly in the settings without having to use a third party so e to give us access to it!

userIvIigzzQhP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I hesitate and cringe every time a system update becomes available. They always manage to screw up something. Yes, in every previous Galaxy I have owned you could turn off the app icon frames but suddenly the option no longer exists. Thank you so much for this system "improvement", Samsung.

usereE7gjzFGN2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I broke a galaxy tab s2 running Android 6 and got a new tab s3 with Pie. And i miss so much my adaptatives icons. I agree with you that sometimes Samsung regress. You pay hundreds of $ on a thing that can't be customize according your preferences.

0 Likes
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

You could always go to the Galaxy themes store and download an icon pack 😊

userb9OxP3Cnwc
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It wouldn't solve the issue. You'd still have icon frames around different icons

0 Likes
userWShtvYaLF7
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Fastest way is to download Samsung Theme:

High_contrast_theme

It has a black background but  ...NO FRAMES!

Hope it works for you guys

userf1wNprZ0nF
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi Guys,

I think the icon frames is controllable via the developer options -> Icon Shape (the very last item), you can try choosing default, I think default is no icon frame.

Thanks.

0 Likes
rogercruse
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Tried this.... and it didn't work for me.

bugger!

0 Likes
userRwYIJPDA1l
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The best may I solved it is to download "Shortcut Maker" and then download the app logo transparent and then upload it as the app icon

0 Likes