cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DNEL
Cosmic Ray

How to upgrade micro sd card in S7 edge

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, I have a question about installing a new memory card on my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.  

I would like instructions on how to install a new micro sd card and on how to transfer the files from the first micro sd card to the second micro sd card. I had purchased a Samevo class 10 128gb 90MB/sec Micro sd Memory Card with adapter from Amazon a few weeks ago.  

The first problem is that I can not get my S7 edge to recognize the card, after trying several different methods.  The other problem is how to get the files from the first card into the second card.  

I am wondering if the problem was caused by how I had formatted the micro sd card.  I had put the card into a card reader, attached to the computer and then formatted, choosing the long format (instead of the "quick" format).  Since the operating system on the Galaxy is Android, perhaps the Windows format had made the card invisible.  

Can you tell me or point me to where I may find instructions on installing this card on my Samsung S7 edge?    

Thanks. Regards,  DNEL

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Neutron Star

Re: How to upgrade micro sd card in S7 edge

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Formatting the card should really not be the issue here. If you format the card in the phone, it should work.
Here is the link to reviews of your card. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B01ECXFC5S/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_btm?ie=UTF8

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

18 REPLIES 18
Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Have you tried to format the new card using the phone?

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@DNEL This SD card gets very low reviews on Amazon. This brand is trying to make it look like SanDisk but it is Sundisk, a very low quality SD card. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sundisk-class-128gb-Memory-adapter/product-reviews/B01ECXFC5S?filterByStar=one...

DNEL
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thak you for the reply.  Yes, I did also try to format the card in the phone.  However, the phone did not see it.

DNEL
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just inserted the card again a few mins ago, to verify this.  Looking at "Storage" in Settings, it only shows the memory that is on the phone.  

DNEL
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did try formatting the card in the phone.  (See other reply).

Highlighted
Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I suspect that it is the SD card. Check out the reviews of this card on Amazon. It seems to be a very low quality card.

DNEL
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for your reply.

I think its premature to make the conclusion that the problem is the micro card. From my recollection, the reviews were good ratings with three or four stars of five. This "Samevo" is rated Class 10 with 90 MBPS. How there was a Sandisk Ultra 200 GB micro sd card on Amazon a few months ago at $59 makes me wonder about quality, yet was a Sandisk.  Packing 200 GB on a tiny card seems quite a feat. I thought I was being safe with 128 GB until there are alot of brands on the market with the 200GB (for maxing the S7edge). There should be a market for high capacity cards with the new Samsungs allowing micro cards up to 200GB.

If it is the card, then why can I read files on it with Windows 10 and Windows 7 computers? I copied the files from the former card of my S7edge onto a folder on these computers, then copied them over to the Samevo 128 GB card and could read them on the computer. Then could not see them after inserting the card into the S7edge. I thought was because needed formatted on the S7edge, yet couldn't see the card to format it. I placed the card in my previous phone, a Nokia Lumia, and the Lumia acknowledged the card was there but would show error messages when trying to open the folder (possibly because was Android files). I tried formatting the card on the Lumia, but a popup message said it couldn't format it. This possibly because 128gb was above the limits of the phone, and couldn't read because was in Android.

Couldn't the problem be that I had initially formatted the card on a Windows PC prior to trying to install on the S7edge when maybe should left it alone? Is there Android software for PCs for preparing cards, etc? Or is there procedure in installing the card on the S7edge? I did download the pdf of the full S7edge user manual. The instructions on the user manual were skimpy.

Everybody here with an S7 or S7edge have interest in this issue, because that phone uses a microcard. Anybody here with suggestions on installing this card?

Regards, dnel

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Formatting the card should really not be the issue here. If you format the card in the phone, it should work.
Here is the link to reviews of your card. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B01ECXFC5S/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_btm?ie=UTF8

DNEL
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thats a complete surprise to me.  I would never purchase anything that had less than three stars.  I always at least glance at the first couple reviews.  How that got by me, I don't know.  I don't shop Amazon much (accept recently for S7edge accessories); assumed they keep quality standards.

I have another thread here about the Samsung fast charger overheating, that I purchased also from Amazon in the same transaction.

regards