JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

I have an old S8 with a broken screen that I want to access

(Topic created: 04-13-2021 02:55 PM)
Arielphf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I imagine a lot of us have felt that sick stomach flip when your favorite phone lands, face down, onto asphalt.  Well, then you know what happened.

I think the phone is still working, but the screen has a kind of green flicker to it that seems to be responding to my finger taps, but I can't tell for sure.  About the only thing that shows clearly on the screen is when it is charging from dead - that is perfectly clear, though there is an echo image above and to the left.  In any case, it's a very sick phone.

What I am hoping is that someone can help me with and app or device that would allow me to connect an external screen or mouse to the phone so that I can get any data I might want off it and wipe it.  I would also consider trying to repair the phone since it is the only device I can use with my VR headset, but I'm not going to do that unless I know there's nothing else wrong with it.  

So, is there something out there that will give me that kind of access to my damaged phone?  Please let me know.

0 Likes
3 Replies
friskyplatypus
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I've verified that the S8 is capable of HDMI out so all that you would need is an USB-C to HDMI converter. This would allow you to connect your phone to either a computer monitor or TV.

The remaining issue is whether you have a screen lock enabled or not. If not, great, you're in business. If so, you'll have to hope that the screen is functional enough for you to try to type in your pin. Unfortunately you will not see the numbers on whatever screen you have connected. Best case scenario if screen lock is enabled is if you have set up fingerprint unlock. I believe the S8 had a fingerprint sensor on the back which would make unlocking and displaying your screen on your TV extremely easy.

Good luck! I did a quick search and there are a lot available on Amazon for around $10.

31JwfKuFv+L._AC_SY780__1669.jpg

0 Likes
Solution
Arielphf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Wow!  Thanks for the legwork!  I think I could spring for that.  

After a bit of squinting through the flashing letters and green blur, I did manage to get the phone open.  I hope hooking it up to the tv will allow me to get my photos off.  

The best price I could find for a screen repair is $240 and after watching it done on Youtube, I can see why.  At least the connection cable is cheap!  Thank you again.

View solution in context

0 Likes
Arielphf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Update:  A friend had a cable and we were able to access the phone last night.  Was able to get my photos and other files, and wipe the phone.  Now I can dispose of it without worrying.  Thanks for your help!  

0 Likes