JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

I was stupid and preordered S21 5G

(Topic created on: 1/21/21 1:12 AM)
userTO0mSJcuZz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

And why I was stupid, I did not check tech specs properly, just now realized that it is not having SD card slot. I do have that on my S20, so now struggling what I will do.

Samsung should wake up! I will still not use cloud services for my pics etc, I really like more reliable way to store my pics, in SD card, no matter if phone will drop and crash, I can easily get pics, videos etc from SD card, also those that were taken 1sec before dropping my phone. Another good point from my side is that I really keep my pics, docs, videos etc in MY own devices, really not in cloud, even though I will sync my contacts, calendar etc to cloud, but that is really enough for me, if I see easy, reliable and free way to keep local backups for all those updated to my own local backups, I will get rid of those cloud services also (for contacts etc I´m just lazy and have not even studied what could be easy way to go with those, just accepted that annoyance)

This is just unbeliveable, I did not even think it would not have SD slot when doing my preorder, but seems that some more models are banned in future on my use and will in worst case need to change my flagship manufacturer.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

8 Replies
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I feel your pain! I have an S20+ and was considering whether I should upgrade to the S21 Ultra. And having no SD card is only one reason that I decided not to. It also does not come with a charger, and only has 8 GB of ram compared to the 12 GB of RAM that I have now. On top of all that, for some reason, the screen resolution is less on the new 21 series... Who knows why Samsung decided to do that!

I guess there must be some good reasons why some people are upgrading to the s21, but I suspect many are going to be in for a big surprise when they get their new phones.

When I get ready to eventually upgrade, if Samsung has not corrected their designs, I will go with another brand.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Btw you can backup files to your pc/mac or even use Samsung Smartswitch to backup your phone to your computer. Maybe that will help some.
Eyayo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Honestly, Samsung isn't going back on the SD card. I have being using cloud storage since they existed and I find it easy to use.

If you think other phone manufacturers won't ditch the SD card then you in for a surprise.

Like you said, you just lazy to learn how easy and convenient cloud storage.

As for the No Charger, the phone is already cheap enough. You getting between $100 - $200 Samsung credit (depending on which device you go for) which can be used to buy charger, or the bud pro.

I ordered the s21 ultra along with the bud pro, case with s-pen, and a uv-cleaner. I am still paying less compared to what I paid for the s20.
userTO0mSJcuZz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Eyayo 

Yes, I´m lazy in some ways, but fact that I´m not starting to use cloud services on my phone is something else than that.

Even through my work, I see and will need to solve too much problems from fact that some cloud service is not running as it supposed to. And I have done this enough so that I can say that that fact has not changed in years, even though more and more services are coming from cloud.

So my point is that I know how cloud can make my life easier and I don´t have to worry about anything, but I still get annoyed from fact that at time it is not available, I would be able to do everything when I´m not forced to use cloud. I really just wan´t to use services that are as bullet proof as can. And I know, SD card can corrupt etc also, but as I have been using more expensive than lowest price bulk SD cards, I have not run into problems in decades with those.

I just have quite diffirent opinion about how Samsung or any other manufacturer can easy my life and save me even many seconds on manual work. In this case, I´m actually not absolutely sure which one of us is lazy one...

EDIT: will need to point this side also, I really hate idea that any cloud service would know and remember my life better than I do, I really will keep my life as my own, even though I really have quite small amount of life that I could not open even with stranger on coffee table. Annoying amount of work to disable all those "Hey use me and save 3sec a day" for a lazy person. And I'm not even making my day glorious, I do have to write my login details every time to many apps.

DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S Phones
A lot of this just increases the value of our S20's... more RAM, better resolution, 1TB SD slot... why trade down?

userIGfb7YHszb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

You are so right! Samsung is constantly removing features on the S series.
I still have my S9+ with SpO2 sensor, 3.5 Jack and SD card slot. Why shall upgrade to a worse smartphone???
As to cloud and SD card: I travel a lot and want to have some movies stored on my phone, because, hellooooo, you cant stream when flying! The SD was exactly the right thing to have and was a key advantage over the iphone.

I wont buy a Samsung again!

Solution
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

Options
Galaxy S Phones
I prefer to have my files stored on my phone too. Last Christmas day there was an explosion in Nashville Tennessee that took out a network hub and effected multiple carriers across several states. Many of my friends lost access to their cloud storage for several days. I still had access to all of my files on my SD card. I purchased my SD card once but my friends pay recurring fees for their cloud storage because they quickly outgrew the free option. So they pay more for less available storage. And Samsung is promoting this as an improvement? The only possible way this is better is by how much Microsoft is paying Samsung to promote their cloud and to remove SD card storage.
userTO0mSJcuZz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Have to update on this topic.

Even though I really would like to use brand new phone, I will pass S21 and keep using my old S20 (which is having now annoying little feature updates, but will have to write for those in another topic).

I really have one advice to Samsung, for coming S22, please get SD card back to phone and do not try to get all users use some specific application for basic tasks! For example, I do not start using any Google video call application to have Video calls, I really really try to use phone that has that basic thing done without any separate application. Unlucky, but with my S20 that has disappeared also from choices and Google app is only choice, I really will not use that (like I will not use WhatsApp). If you try to get me use separate apps from Google or MS to do basic things on my phone, I will not have another choice than to change manufacturer. Apple, maybe. Nokia, maybe also if Android will be choice then.

But, first time for ages, will continue with older model for another year, just for little things that will annoy too much. If thi sS20 will break now before next model, will have to fix that, will not go for S21.

So Samsung, please do not continue with this way you choose for S21.