JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Incomplete connection charging.

(Topic created on: 12/23/17 8:50 PM)
user8CNHXeVnzj
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Charger says it has an incomplete connect. Second day, has anyone else had this issue? Miserable, stuck to the wall!

279 Replies
user4Ecqf5Cxvz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hmmm just curious,  what is OLED burn out ? Is this when the screen and colors get really faded and dimmed? Because my phone is doing that very often and i'm not sure what that's about... but makes sense if it is. 

0 Likes
userDfhyDKGcfC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
From Android Authority, over a year ago. Was already reported other places, such as in the Korean Herald. But for some reason, Samsung seemed oblivious to it a few months ago when I called several times ...
What is screen burn-in?
Screen burn-in, not to be confused with the similar — though completely temporary — image retention (or image persistence), is a permanent display artifact created when static images remain on the display for extended periods of time. When this occurs, an outline of the image can remain “burnt” into the screen even after it has been turned off, or replaced with a different picture. It’s an issue which can be found in almost all displays, though modern technologies have gone some way to reducing it.

As for how long it takes for this to occur, it’s difficult to provide a precise time because it depends on many factors, such as screen brightness, the type of hardware, and the type of image.

On one of its support pages on the subject of LED burn-in, Samsung says that you shouldn’t have a static image on the display for more than two hours. Those comments are in relation to LED TVs, so it’s not exactly a like-for-like comparison. Also, you would expect Samsung’s estimates to be conservative to protect itself (i.e. it could reasonably take hours more). For simplicity’s sake, let’s say the same applies to a smartphone.

How could screen burn-in affect the Galaxy S8?
In the case of the Galaxy S8, the device makes use of an Always On Display, which means certain portions of the screen remain illuminated even when it is locked. These include the phone’s clock and it’s software home button. Though the Always On Display can be scheduled to switch off at a certain time (or turned off permanently), it’s possible that it could remain present on the screen for several hours.

So, if LED burn-in occurs when static images on AMOLED screens are displayed over extended periods, the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus’ display (and other smartphones) must be particularly susceptible to this issue, right?

Not exactly.

It’s a static image, but not really
The Samsung Galaxy S8 shouldn’t experience burn-in problems from the always-on home button because it’s designed to move (very subtly) so that it’s not in a static position for too long. This was recently corroborated by the Galaxy Club fansite.

This is a common trick to avoid burn-in — the Galaxy S8’s clock also moves — and Samsung released an update to the Galaxy S7’s Always On Display so that its contents would shuffle in small increments too.

While reports that burn-in has affected the S8 display suggest this doesn’t work, it’s also possible that it does work on the other millions of devices out there, and that the couple or so other devices (like the one above) are rare exceptions.

It’s always on, but not really
The home button is part of the Always On Display, but it’s not actually always on. It switches off when you enter certain apps and it is even temporarily removed when you hit the unlock screen. Even if you happen to be doing something that requires a lot of screen-on time, like reading an eBook or watching a movie, the navigation bar where the home button is situated gets turned off.

Thus, the times when a smartphone screen would happen to produce a static image for extended periods (think hours) are pretty uncommon; you’d have to be trying to do it, really.

Wrap up
No LED display is completely immune to burn-in and the LEDs that power them will deteriorate over time. Though it is possible that the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus displays will experience burn-in faster than others, in this case, it seems like Samsung has taken the necessary precautions. The S8/S8 Plus screens are probably as susceptible to burn-in as any other.

If you are worried about your handset, however, you can turn off the Always On Display (ironically) in the settings and remove the nav bar entirely to get rid of those static elements.

That’s my take, what’s yours? Let me know in the comments.

Categories: News
Tags: Samsung, Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus
Leave a Comment
Android Authority

0 Likes
useriD33xPKXn2
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Did anyone figure this out? The charger I leave in my car still works, but the one I use at home has the Incomplete Connection problem now. Both chargers are the same - they plug into the wall or you can detach that part and use the USB.

Is there dust somewhere that's causing the problem? Or humidity?

user27p48Glx1v
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same here.   Any answers?

0 Likes
user6irRWMP83S
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm also having the same problem with error message telling me that it's an Incomplete Connection, nothing else works to charge my phone.

Phone name:  SAMSUNG-SM-G950U

Model Number: SM-G950U

Android Version: 7.0

Samsung Experience Version: 8.1

Baseband Version: G950USQU1AQGL

Kernel Version:  4.4.16    dpi@SWDG9713#1

Sat Jul 29 16.58:23 KST 2017

0 Likes
useruKcz9Nl1CZ
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Last update, my phone started same thing, same charger as always and didn't do it before last update, before this current one

0 Likes
user4BU4nvcizU
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Add me to the list of people experiencing this issue. 

Fully up to date with all patches and the most recent security update. 

Having to remove and replace the usb-c several times until the phone recognizes fast charging is an irritant. 

0 Likes
userJO2SbOrtYp
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Has anyone else noticed this pattern? It's always the S8 phones made for VERIZON. Everyone with this model is having the same issue. Why has Samsung not issued some kind of recall on this yet? 

For anyone looking for a quick fix, we bought a wireless charger for my husband's phone to prevent doing any further damage on the port. We got annoyed with plugging the cord in and out in order for it to charge properly. 

0 Likes
userChSnZd7fhs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I think Verizon's software is bricking thret phones. I'm having the same issue. Factory data reset, new set up. My friends s8 charged just fine with fast charging setting and workout using my original charger. Same issue with my friends original s8 charger. :( I'm sad

0 Likes
userZY0fWz9kVw
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm having the same issue. Have only been using the charging cable and block that came with the phone. Every time I go to plug it in, it says incomplete connection.

0 Likes