JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Individual and Group Text Message Notification sound

(Topic created: 09-13-2020 03:29 PM)
Tiggerkee
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I don't understand why this feature was removed!!!!!! Now when I get a text I have no idea who it can be. Before we had the option to assign a notification to each contact and group. I had a separate notification for Family, Friends and Work, and now there is no option, it's all the same!!! Why can't you put that back!!!!
39 Replies
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@VerbumVeritum Would you be able to assist and verify what options you may have for group messages?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userY5OZLMxHbj
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Thanks for your response. I have a similar desire. I'm looking to set a notification sound for ALL text messages, no matter who they are from, (including unknown contacts), which is different from other notification sounds on the phone.
0 Likes
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userY5OZLMxHbj You can follow these steps to change the sound for ALL notifications.

1. From the Home screen, swipe up or down to access the Apps screen.
2. Touch Settings.
3. Touch Sounds and vibration.
4. Touch Notification sounds.
5. Select the desired notification sound.
     For this example, touch Piano.
6. Touch Back.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This does not solve the issue for having a separate notification for each individual in the group.  Users A B and C shoudl all send me their predetermined text tone as it used to function.  

Members_QQ5AeQT
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you, but There is no "edit the group"  option on my S10+.

Help?!!  I have 58 contacts that need the special notification sound.........

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Members_QQ5AeQT wrote:

Thank you, but There is no "edit the group"  option on my S10+.

Help?!!  I have 58 contacts that need the special notification sound.........

If you are talking about the standard samsung text messenger, Samsung removed that feature back with the change from oreo to Nougant I think.  You can't do it with the standard app.  With Textra, you CAN create a group and have a distinct tone for that GROUP, or you can have distinct tones for individuals. With the DEFAULT app, special tones were set up though the contacts app.  You can't do that anymore.  Trust me, I've been screaming about this for the past 20 months since I got my note 9.  The standard app allows you to tag a message THREAD with a specific tone, but if you delete that thread, all goes back to the standard tone.  

With TEXTRA, this is the closest that you can get. You can set a tone to a specific person, delete the thread and the specific tone remains as that person.    

With TEXTRA, You can set a tone for Friend A and a differant tone for Friend B.  When A send you a text, you get tone A.  When Friend B sends you a Text, you get tone B.  Create a group with Friend A and Friend B and send them a message, you will get the default tone back for both of them.  

Kaos091
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I dont have an issue with this feature..I just assign seperate sounds from the contacts directly instead of messages

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Let's continue to be clear that this is not a solution but a poorly designed replacement.  Notifications assigned this way do not stay if you delete the text thread, there is no way to permanently assign text alerts anymore.  All it does is assign a tone to a thread, not a contact.  Samsung refuses to change this and the mods continue to delete the long threads of people asking for it to be returned.

Samsung_BhUXdpB
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I feel the same way that you I know how you feeling about it

Options
Galaxy S Phones

Anyone out there know someone with an LG or other android brand?  I seem to remember at one time, Samsung didn't have that feature, but Someone else still had it.  I dumped the Stock Text message system some time ago and went with Textra.  The individual's tone remain even after the thread is deleted.  With Textra You can

• Customize the INDIVIDUAL's Tone 
  • Customize the GROUP Tone
  • But you can't maintain the INDIVIDUAL's tone when that individual is included in a group conversation.  

I think that it's just the Samsung Version (One UI and updates) that block that feature.  This whole thing originated with the change to the CONTACTS app and not the messaging app.  

0 Likes