Original topic:

Individual and Group Text Message Notification sound

(Topic created: 09-17-2021 09:02 AM)
GalaxyPhoneOwner
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Firstly, the issue reported in the link at the bottom of this post is not "resolved".

In regard to individual and group message notifications the issue is not resolved and the feature was not "moved". Or maybe it was moved out of the "Contacts" app and into the "Messaging" app. But that means it was "removed" from the "Contacts" app and the "feature" added to the "Messaging" app falls far short of the original capability in the "Contacts" app.

I used to be able to set an "individual text notification sound" for each contact in the "Contacts" app exactly the way I set an "individual ringtone" for each contact in the "Contacts" app. In fact, the two settings used to be right next to each other in the "Contacts" app and the text notification setting got removed from the "Contacts" app somewhere along the way.

I understand your solution allows me to set a specific notification sound for a "conversation" however the "Contacts" app previously did but does not now allow me to set a specific text notification sound for an "individual contact" in addition to a separate and specific ringtone for an "individual contact".

In the past I was able to set an individual text sound in the Contacts app the same way I set an individual ringtone and when this was done the individual text notification would play for that specific person even in a "group" "conversation".

In other words, if there was a text message conversation with multiple people in the recipient list and one of them was my wife for which I had specified an individual text notification sound then every time my wife replied to that group text I would hear her individually specified notification sound and I would hear the "default" notification sound for everyone else in the group text message.

Similarly, if more than one person was assigned an "individual" text notification sound then I would hear a different sound for each person on the group text ... one conversation, 4 people in the chat and 4 unique sounds not one sound for the "conversation".

I want to be able to distinguish when my wife sends me a text regardless of in what "group chat" it happens. This is the way it used to work but it doesn't work this way anymore. The way it works today I have to set a new sound for every conversation that includes my wife but then that sound plays for everyone who responds to the chat and not just my wife.

The following "solution" is not correct.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/Individual-and-Group-Text-Message-Notification-s...

0 Likes
7 Replies
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Group messaging changed, I still haven't figured out how to leave a group text, everything says to mute or ignore... it depends on if ur wife responds in the group chat or directly to u, it may look like individual text on 1 of yall phn but not the other
0 Likes
GalaxyPhoneOwner
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Yes, the Contacts app changed a while back and I want it the individual text tone feature back.

Previously it did not matter if my wife responded directly to me or to a group text. A text from her would play the individual text tone regardless of whether or not she was responding directly to me or to a group text even if it was started by someone else. And, of course, not just the wife, it worked for anyone who I gave an individually assigned text tone in the Contacts app.

As far as I know Apple iMessage is the only platform that provides the ability to "unsubscribe" from a group text.  Even then, I'm not sure it's supported by Apple if one of the phones in the group text is an Android or doesn't have iMessage. The only way I know of to "leave" a group text on Android is to delete the conversation and block the people who update it, unless there is some third party text messaging app for Android that supports iMessage.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Good luck... I noticed that w the newest androids, you have to keep digging and opening different settings in different locations to completely tweak it to your liking, keep trying and exploring
0 Likes
GalaxyPhoneOwner
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It's not in there no matter how hard you look, it's been removed or disabled.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Oh wow
0 Likes
Sarge2
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
This occurred a long time ago with messages vs notification sounds for individuals. I just stopped using the message app and uploaded TEXTRA from Google Play Store and have no issues setting individual notification tones as I please.
GalaxyPhoneOwner
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks. Yes it was a long time ago and I was hoping since I just updated from a GS7 to a GS10e that it might be fixed in the later version but nope. I'll check out TEXTRA.

0 Likes