Original topic:

Intermittent no internet connection

(Topic created: 07-12-2021 08:08 PM)
userBgeA6Q0L4g
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This is about my Galaxy S10+. I have owned it for a little over a year.

I work with computers, and networks, and understand both very well. I spent quite a bit of time trying to diagnose this problem, and strongly believe I have eliminated all external causes, as well as internal ones within my ability to change. So thanks ahead for suggestions, but please make sure you read my whole post, and please try to avoid repeating diagnostic steps I have already taken.

I have a new wireless router, and a new DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem, both of which I have set up. I have not had a single incident of any Internet drops on my PC's, connected via CAT6, or my ipad connected wirelessly. The only device on the network - I have a 2.4GHz, and a 5.0GHz wireless networks, that ever losses its Internet connection is the Galaxy S10+.

When this happens I can still ping it, telling me that it is still on the network, but I can't do something as simple as run speedtest because it lost it's Internet connection. The network settings show that it is still connected to the wireless network, but with "no Internet."

When that happens I have gone to the ipad, and confirmed that it is still able to access the Internet a couple of times, so it is not the wireless network losing its Internet connection.

I removed, and reinstalled both wireless networks on the phone - NC. Rebooted the phone, router, and modem - NC. It will continue to tell me there is no Internet connection for about ten minutes, then magically the Internet connectivity will return.

I can turn off wireless, and turn it back on to restore the Internet connection, but I'm getting real tired of doing that. Actually, I was real tired of that months ago.

The phone has the latest updates. I'm not going to wipe it to resolve a problem that Samsung has had months to address. I'm not the only one who has this problem.

I very much appreciate any well-informed, and well thought out responses.

Dave

11 Replies
TheGalaxy
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Any firewall or VPN on the router or the phone?
Try testing in safe mode
Also:
Settings
Apps
Show system app
Search for network storage
Clear data
Also any drop ?
Also what is the firmware version?
You can try installing stock firmware
0 Likes
userBgeA6Q0L4g
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi Supernova,

Thanks for the response. No, I don't use a VPN on my phone.

I already cleared the network data already. As mentioned, it is up to date with all patches.

I assume you mean network drops. At no time when it losses its Internet connection has it also lost its network connection. As mentioned, I can ping the phone when this problem occurs.

Again, as mentioned, I'm not wiping the phone to try to fix this issue.

Thanks anyway.

0 Likes
Blue7
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S Phones

submit an error report via samsung members app > + button > error report if you think it's a software issue

0 Likes
userBgeA6Q0L4g
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what you mean by a software error.

I strongly suspect that it is a flaw in the operating system, or at least that part of it that controls network, and Internet access.

I came to this forum to try to avoid the hours of pointless recommendations, and diagnostic steps that Samsung will invariably run me through.

It's possible that the problem could be specific to my phone's hardware, and an anomaly, but I suspect that others have suffered this condition as well.

My hope is that I am right, and perhaps someone will say so, so that if I have to contact Samsung I'll be able to do so with a happy ending in site.

userBgeA6Q0L4g
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Still looking for good information on this issue. Thanks.

0 Likes
userBgeA6Q0L4g
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Before I test the aerodynamic properties of this phone, as well as its resistance to impact damage, I'd like to get some helpful information. Thanks.

0 Likes
userCKp7TAaJk8
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm trying to fix what I think is the same issue on my Wife's S21.  It will be connected to a WiFi network or Cellular and suddenly says it has no internet.  This has happened in multiple locations where I know they have internet.  

What's interesting (but not surprising) is my Pixel 5 with Google Fi stays connected perfectly when they're right next to each other.

One potential solution that I just ran across is shown here and is "If you have a mesh network / multiple access points with the same WiFi SSID / dual band network with single SSID, simply disabling Google Location Accuracy in Settings > Location will work. If not, I also have WiFi scanning disabled in Settings > Location > Improve Accuracy."  I haven't been able to try it yet, since my Wife's at work.

I really need to fix it, since it's driving her crazy.

0 Likes
userBgeA6Q0L4g
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I do not have a mesh network. One router, Linksys WRT3200ACM.

Also, the thread you linked is for people who are losing their wifi connection on their phones, not losing just the internet connection while staying connected to the wifi, as I had specifically described my issue. The thread is titled "Samsung s20 ultra dropping wifi connection constantly."

I took pains to describe my problem as accurately as I could to avoid non-relevant responses. Good luck with your wife.

0 Likes
userBgeA6Q0L4g
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Still hoping to get some relevant, helpful information on this problem. Thanks.

0 Likes