Original topic:

Is anyone able to add a card to Samsung Pay on Android 7 or earlier?

(Topic created: 06-05-2022 04:42 PM)
Options
Galaxy S Phones

As a practitioner of the scientific method, I am ready to propound a theory after collecting two data points. My theory is that it has become impossible to add a credit card to Samsung Pay on Android 7.0 or earlier, and I'm looking (hoping!) to falsify that.

If anybody can do it, I'd be interested to hear what device you have, how recently you added a card and what version of Samsung Pay.

I called Samsung Pay today, and they said Samsung Pay was supported on Android 6 and higher. But I'd like to get some real-world views.

0 Likes
6 Replies
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@TyrannicalDuncery I'm going to guess that a lot of CC providers won't enable their card on a 5 year old OS. There have been a lot of security enhancements in 5 years. 

Options
Galaxy S Phones

That's a good point LongHiker. But do you really think the issuers can control which OS versions they are going to allow to work with their cards? I had assumed they can just decide "Samsung Pay, Yea or Nay?" But I guess I have no evidence for that....

I've tried two different cards and both have issuers on this list: https://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/compatible-cards/. One of them even says on their website that the card I have works with Samsung Pay.

0 Likes
livs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
My old phone was and S8 and it worked. My new one is a S21 FE and it works as well.
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Okay, very cool. What Android version were you using on S8?

0 Likes
livs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
It was a Samsung Galaxy S8. I had for a few years and cracked the screen a few months ago and got my new phone
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Hi, the S8+ stops updating at version 8.0.0, so it's still a bit higher than yours.
0 Likes