cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Is it possible to get control over your smartphone?

Hello!  One relative of mine (owns a Samsung smartphone) told me about 2 strange things that apparently happened to her recently:

1) Several contacts of her got calls from WhatsApp and other social apps from her number, but when they answered, something else was on the line, not her.
2) She doesn't see some of the photos she made recently.

I don't know, whether this really happened. Therefore I want to ask 2 things:
1) Is it technically possible, that someone took control of her smartphone and is doing whatever he / she wants, for example, calling from her phone without possessing it physically? Something like when you share you screen on your notebook over TeamViewer, and give control to your conversation partner.
2) Is it possible to get access to the data that are stored on the smartphone? Of course, it is possible, that someone compomises your account in a cloud service, and then can manipulate the contents of your device, but apart of that, are there any other possibilities to do it?

Thank you in advance, would really appreciate it.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Is it possible to get control over your smartphone?

Yes it is possible. It has happened. Suspend your account. Change your phone # and your phone if possible your carrier.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks for your reply! Do you know if that can happen only over installation of malicious apps, or are there any other ways to give full or partial control to someone? Because at a first glance I didn't find any suspicious apps on her smartphone.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Is the device A10e.

Highlighted
Asteroid

No, Galaxy S10

Highlighted
Astronaut

Why does it matter if it's an a10e? Are they more prone to hacking?