Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MAW_17
Asteroid

Media Server Battery Drain

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi.

I need help, i have been having this issue since the last 5 days. My battery is rapidly decreases in a matter of 30 mins to an hour and phone gets hot.

The main reason behind this that I can is MediaServer. No idea what it is or how it is activated.

I have had this phone for well over three months and my phone has not behave this was until recently.

There has been no change in the pattern on my usage and the last couple of apps that I downloaded thinking could be the reason have been uninstalled. The only other thing was I requested my network provider to unlock my device for which I was given a code. There has been hardly any other changes to the phone since I got it.

Attaching a screenshot, model number SM G935F, UK device. Please help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fendushi
Asteroid

Re: Media Server Battery Drain

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had this same problem too, started a few days ago after an OTA firmware update. I went bonkers searching for a solution and read outdated ones that were not even S7 related which suggested an SD card problem. I formatted my SD card a few times and even swapped it for another. I was going to give up until I read a thread on reddit.

The problem is Google Chrome browser, either a problem caused in itself or its conflicting with the current S7 Edge firmware. Mediaserver starts after browsing certain media rich websites.

I turned off my S7, charged it fully, turned it back on then force stopped Chrome. 12 hours on and so far, so good.

I have been using Android since S3 and never had this problem. Im on Exynos S7 Edge.

Using Samsung browser now, not sure if im going to use Chrome again on this phone.

I hope this information will help others with the same issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
fendushi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had this same problem too, started a few days ago after an OTA firmware update. I went bonkers searching for a solution and read outdated ones that were not even S7 related which suggested an SD card problem. I formatted my SD card a few times and even swapped it for another. I was going to give up until I read a thread on reddit.

The problem is Google Chrome browser, either a problem caused in itself or its conflicting with the current S7 Edge firmware. Mediaserver starts after browsing certain media rich websites.

I turned off my S7, charged it fully, turned it back on then force stopped Chrome. 12 hours on and so far, so good.

I have been using Android since S3 and never had this problem. Im on Exynos S7 Edge.

Using Samsung browser now, not sure if im going to use Chrome again on this phone.

I hope this information will help others with the same issue.

View solution in original post

MAW_17
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are a star!!

I have made a concious effort not to open chrome and my battery is back to normal. Been using samsung browser as a replacement for my browsing.

No unusual decrease in battery and it doesnot even get that hot anymore. 

Same here I dont know I would ever use chrome anymore on this device. 

Thank you again. 

fendushi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Glad I could help, it can be very frustrating at times not knowing what was causing the issue.
gavroche
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for this, it has confirmed my own diagnosis. I have tried (as someone suggested) Chrome Dev (as at 22 sep 2016), but this hasn't fixed it.

I want to use Chrome as I like to sync my bookmarks etc, so this is a real annoyance for me. Please Samsung - work with Google to resolve this issue!

userzZn5rmyTEE
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been getting the same battery drain 18%