cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dennis P
Cosmic Ray

Messages app is very slow since last update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Since the latest update to the Messages app (version 5.0.22.10) it is very slow. Before, texts that I sent or received displayed almost instantly. Now, texts take 7 or more seconds to send or appear. New features are nice, but this sluggishness is ridiculous. Is there an update coming to fix this or some other workaround? I will gladly remove the new features to gain back the instant texting speed.

This behavior is the same on mine and my wife's phone, both are Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dennis P
Cosmic Ray

Re: Messages app is very slow since last update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What eventually did fix this was not the factory reset, but deleing my full message history. After that, it works instantly again.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, give this try.

Go to Settings > Apps > Show system Apps (click on the 3 vertical dots upper right of screen) >
 Messages > Force Stop > Storage > Clear Data and Clear Cache. 
 Restart Phone

Dennis P
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If anything, it's worse now. But, it might still be downloading old text data. I will wait a few hours, then try again.

Speaking of sluggish, why is this forum so slow? I've never been on another forum that took so long to just load an editor. Plus, spell check doesn't work.

Dennis P
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Today it's actually worse. It's even slower and in order to see a text I sent, I need to leave the thread with that person and go back to the list of threads, then back into the thread where I sent the text.

userhyQWEsT3iT
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I haven't noticed much variation, just awful.  Get a text notification and the text isn't even displayed.  A few seconds later the text is displayed.  And sending the same. Hit send and text disappears and a few seconds later it shows as sending.  All 3 S7's in my house act the same.  Serious regressions.  But hey, we got 'chat bots' and other unneeded garbage.

userWOCakdw5lO
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If my understanding is correct deleting the storage and Cache will delete all phone conversations? If I am Right is there any other way around it as I would not like to loose all of my Conversations. 

If I am wrong please let me know and I will proceed with the following instructions.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userWOCakdw5lO Clearing the cache won't delete the messages in the stock messaging app. Have you also tried wiping the cache partition on your device?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userhyQWEsT3iT
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same here on 3 S7's.  Ridiculously slow.  Clearing data and cache does nothing.  If I could go back to an old version I would.  I tried Google Messages but it loses messages constantly.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

what r the carrier, model number, and software build number from the settings > about phone?

userhyQWEsT3iT
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well I hijacked the OP's thread. I have three of the same all experiencing horrible Messages performance:

Carrier: AT&T  (not using Advanced Messaging cause it loses messages)

Model: SM-G930A

Android: 8.0.0

Samsung: 9.0

Build: R16NW.G930AUCS8CRJ2

Security Patch: Oct 1, 2018

This all started with Messages 5.0.22.10