cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user17q1aZIUbe
Asteroid

Navigation bar and top icon bar lost after Android 9 update

Hi All

Since I have updated my S2 to android 9 i have lost the navigation bar at the bottom as well as the top icon bar on all screens.

I have gone into the setting and made sure that Im not in emmersive mode, but even then the nav bar does not appear when I swipe up. I also seem to have lost access to the quick settings and notifications when you swipe down at the top of the screen.

7 REPLIES 7
Honored Contributor

Re: Navigation bar and top icon bar lost after Android 9 update

@user17q1aZIUbe wrote:

Hi All

Since I have updated my S2 to android 9 i have lost the navigation bar at the bottom as well as the top icon bar on all screens.

I have gone into the setting and made sure that Im not in emmersive mode, but even then the nav bar does not appear when I swipe up. I also seem to have lost access to the quick settings and notifications when you swipe down at the top of the screen.

Just to make sure you are using S8 and not S2 Smiley Happy

Try wiping cache:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about some seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  4. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition.”
  5. Press the Power key to select.
  6. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
  7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
  8. Press the Power key to restart the device.

user17q1aZIUbe
Asteroid

thank you, Yes S8 apologies.

I've tried this twice to be sure, but unfortunately, it does not seem to have made any difference.

Honored Contributor

@user17q1aZIUbe wrote:

thank you, Yes S8 apologies.

I've tried this twice to be sure, but unfortunately, it does not seem to have made any difference.

You are not using a custom theme, right? - just checking...

1) So if you go to settings> tap on magnifying glass and type: navigation bar.  What options do you have?

2) Go to settings again and search for Status bar and look at the setting there too

user17q1aZIUbe
Asteroid

No custom theme at all.

1) Hard press Home Button is - on
    Unlock with Home button - off

Navigation Type - Navigation buttons is selected

2)Time - Enabled

Date - Disabled

Battery Power - enabled

Signal Strength - enabled

Bluetooth - enabled

Honored Contributor

@user17q1aZIUbe wrote:

No custom theme at all.

1) Hard press Home Button is - on
    Unlock with Home button - off

Navigation Type - Navigation buttons is selected

2)Time - Enabled

Date - Disabled

Battery Power - enabled

Signal Strength - enabled

Bluetooth - enabled

Have you tried factory reset yet?  

1) To backup or check backup: Settings>accounts and backup>backup and restore and tap on backup data - see when the last backup was taken if long time ago, you can initiate backup.  This will pretty much backup your home screens(icons location, folders), settings, apps...

2) To reset the phone: Settings>tap on magnifying glass and type: reset and then factory data reset.  Make sure you have all your google and samsung account info available

3) After reset, try not to restore form backup for now, mostly skip setup options, but you can sign into Google and Samsung account when prompted, but SKIP restore. Once at the home screen, see if your nav bar and status bar are present, if they are, then go back to the location in Step 1 above and instead of backup, go to restore.

user17q1aZIUbe
Asteroid

I have tried all 3 of those options with no luck.

Highlighted
userIzYh4hzfsq
Constellation

Thank you for your help.  I have been looking days for the percentage icon for the status bar after the Android 9 update.  This worked great.