Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dvnn
Cosmic Ray

No longer receiving GMail notifications

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello!

As the title states, I'm no longer receiving GMail notifications on my S10.  At first, I had no issues receiving notifications, but I noticed at some point last week I was no longer receiving GMail notifications (it took me a few days to realize this because I don't get that many emails haha).

After Googling around for ideas as to why this was happening, I found that it's because I have a Power Saving Mode on (medium).  So, I messed around within GMail settings and within the S10 settings to basically tell the device to ignore Power Saving options when it comes to GMail.  No dice.  The only time I can get consistant GMail notifications is if I turn off all Power Saving options.  This is frustrating because there are options available to flag certain apps to bypass this.  Also, if I don't have some form of Power Saving on, battery life suffers even if I'm not continuously on my phone.  

Here are all the methods I tried and had no luck with:

1. Disable/enable GMail
  2. Went into GMail > Settings > selected my email address > Manage Labels and ensured that all labels were selected for sync
  3. I made sure that notifications are enabled in both GMail settings and the S10 app settings
  4. I also went into S10 settings > Apps > GMail > Mobile Data and enabled "Allow background data usage" and "Allow app while data saver is on"
  5. Thinking that it was a GMail app thing, I also tried using the Samsung email app instead.  No dice, even with GMail disabled and unsync'd.

Anyone know why Power Saver blocks GMail, even when I ask it and the device not to?  

Thanks!  Smiley Happy 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DumasZack
Constellation

Re: No longer receiving GMail notifications

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was having the same issue with my S10 with gmail not sending notifications. I found if you go to settings > search for "special access" > optimize battery usage > turn of the gmail app, I started getting notifications again even while on medium power saving mode. I'm not sure if you've tried this yet but it seems to be working again normally for me? Hope this helps.

23 REPLIES 23
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately, at this time, the Power Saver would need to be disabled in order for these notifications to come through. However, we will mark your post as a Feature Request in the hopes this is fixed in a future update.

Jessica_556
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Will you send out a notification when/if this gets corrected so GMAIL users know they can turn their power saver back to medium?

userqM3sTRMFTv
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
So turning off power saver works - sort of. The problem now is if the phone screen is blanked you don't get the notification. The screen blanks all the time to save power. If it's blanked, notifications don't come through. If I swipe the screen to "unlock" the phone (it's already unlocked, I just un-blank the screen) then the notification comes through.
userqM3sTRMFTv
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Update to my post of 2 weeks ago. So it seems I get notifications sometimes but definitely not always. Some come through, others don't . If I unblank the screen and an email has come in that I didn't get a notification on, my phone chirps to let me know it came in. A little late!
useriZEdBqOa7z
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Also tried this and have turned off power saving, however, the issue remains. Notifications are not consistent. From my experience, gmail notifications have been coming in throughout the day, but once the phone goes to sleep overnight, no notifications are recieved from gmail unless you manually go into the app and refresh.

userAYiQPNlCVD
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I am having the same issues and even on High performance it is not displaying my gmail notifications. I have reset them numerous times, rebooted my phone changed up everything and still nothing. Samsung Note 8
userBmBjKDuIeI
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm confused at this response and why the issue is deemed as Solved, when people reported that the solution doesn't work?

How is something that broke after a system update considered a Feature Request?  After all, it previously worked just fine.

userPPrB0Sc39m
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I noticed that the Snapdragon 855/ Exynos 9820 are very heavy processors. They go beast mode the moment you turn on the phone. The One UI has its fair hand in this as well, as it taxes a huge load on the processor. I bought the s10e and without the power saving mode switched on, I would hardly get 2-3 hours of Screen On-Time (SoT). But the Medium Power Saving mode is very efficient and useful since it drops the load on the processor without any noticeable performance drops. And that is a very big thing. With the Medium Power Saving Mode enabled, I am getting around 6-7 maybe even 8 hours of SoT. ( Always connected to Wi-Fi, heavy Youtube use, light gaming and a lot of movies). So I guess all fellow S10/S10e/S10+ users are using the Medium Power Saving Mode as a daily norm instead of an occasional bump to use the juice more efficiently. I hope this issue is resolved in a later update since it is an issue faced by a broad audience and the sample size for variables is very small (if we are talking about fellow S10/S10e/S10+ users only)

Jennss10
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How would i disable power saving mode? I am having trouble as well.