Original topic:

Old Phone Runs Well Any Reason To Upgrade?

(Topic created: 08-01-2022 05:12 PM)
Samsung8Plus4evr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I wanted to see if anyone else was seeing the same results as I am and gain some insight:

With time my phone gets slow, annoying slow. When that happens, I delete what I don't want, need, or use. I back up the rest and factory reset. The phone springs to life once again. I've had a Galaxy S8+ since it came out and it still runs great.

With that being said, I wanted to ask if anyone else is having a similar experience. Also, I am, unfortunately, not the greatest fan of the curve screen edge so a switch to the s22 or s22 would be a welcome change, but I simply cannot rationalize switching phones while my current one is fully functioning- does anyone know of any tangible reasons why I should abandon my existing setup?

Note: I have AV and use it plus the scanning feature religiously. Looking at the security update schedule.
4 Replies
Oxford
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones
It won't get any more OS updates or security updates, meaning it will be very vulnerable to hacking and malware attacks.
AI4GKDan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Here are my thoughts: if the phone works and you're good with going through theose gyrations, absolutely keep your old phone. New phones, especially flagships, can be terribly expensive. The other thing to consider is security updates. You might not want to be operating a device with an old operating system that gets no security updates. Thirdly, the new devices are so much faster than your old S8+. I would go to the local phone store and see what the new phones have to offer. Pick them up and handle them. Take a picture of something with the demo phone and your S8+. See if the picture quality is better than your phone. Then decide whether the cost is worth it to you.
wow10
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Yes! 5g
Faster,smoother, cleaner
I have S21FE
I am have no regrets buying
Waller
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Nah dog, if you get solid 3rd party security updates on that thing and your OLED screen isn't burned to death, give it another year. Anything after the Note20 Ultra lacks the Magnetic Secure Transmission technology that your S8+ still has. That makes Samsung Pay way more versatile since you can trick a card swipe terminal into thinking you swiped a card. I'm not even talking about NFC, which most people call "Tap Pay"
This feature is so handy that I dread the day an upgrade is truly due.