cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userfVQBSv5FTn
Asteroid

[PE/FR] Disable Bixby

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Galaxy S9+ user here.  I don't understand why Bixby can't be disabled after this latest update.  Siri can be disabled.  If you want Bixby to compete with Siri, please allow us to turn it off.  When my 70+ y/o father calls me up and says "I thought you turned this Bixby stuff off, I hate it!", you know you've lost the feature battle.

• I understand that Bixby cannot be disabled
  • I understand that I can turn off the Bixby Home page
  • I understand that I can turn off Bixby Voice
  • I understand that I can change the auto-open from one-tap to two-taps on the Bixby button
  • I understand that adb won't allow me to disable the package

Feature Request:  One-click disable all Bixby features and services

Justification:  Anecdotal, but I have not met one Galaxy user that likes it, let alone uses it at all.  Even looking at this board, you can see that the community wants to be able to disable it completely.  It is invasive, it is not useful, and forcing users to have it using system resources is not only terrible from a usability standpoint, it shows bad faith to your community.  I don't care if it has to be put in the Developer Options, put it somewhere.  Please.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: [PE/FR] Disable Bixby

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userfVQBSv5FTn wrote:

Galaxy S9+ user here.  I don't understand why Bixby can't be disabled after this latest update.  Siri can be disabled.  If you want Bixby to compete with Siri, please allow us to turn it off.  When my 70+ y/o father calls me up and says "I thought you turned this Bixby stuff off, I hate it!", you know you've lost the feature battle.

• I understand that I can change the auto-open from one-tap to two-taps on the Bixby button

Justification:  Anecdotal, but I have not met one Galaxy user that likes it, let alone uses it at all.  Even looking at this board, you can see that the community wants to be able to disable it completely.  It is invasive, it is not useful, and forcing users to have it using system resources is not only terrible from a usability standpoint, it shows bad faith to your community.  I don't care if it has to be put in the Developer Options, put it somewhere.  Please.

to remove bixby permanently:

- proceed with caution.

- full backup (optional)

1) access device's console using ADB.

2) the following are the bixby packages to be uninstalled:

• com.samsung.android.bixby.agent
  • com.samsung.android.bixby.agent.dummy
  • com.samsung.android.bixby.es.globalaction
  • com.samsung.android.bixby.plmsync
  • com.samsung.android.bixby.voiceinput
  • com.samsung.android.bixby.wakeup

3) the command to uninstall a package is the following:

pm uninstall --user 0 <name-pkg>

4) this is the sequence of PM commands to remove bixby:

pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.agent
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.agent.dummy
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.es.globalaction
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.plmsync
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.voiceinput
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.wakeup

How to Install ADB on Windows, macOS, and Linux

mito
15 REPLIES 15
userg8JYBKdtSX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I concur with this comment.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You could change it to launch Google assistant instead, it's alittle less annoying

Make sure you install the Google assistant app from the play store.

The easiest way to do this is to make sure Bixby is updated, then install Google Assistant. Open Bixby and select "Quick commands" from the overflow menu, then tap the + button. Type "Google" into the field, press "Add a command," then type "Launch Assistant." Head back to Bixby's main screen, choose "Settings" from the menu, go to "Bixby key," then select "Double press to open Bixby." Finally, enable "Use single press" and set it to run your "Google" command.

Now, when you press the Bixby key, Google Assistant will open and start listening for a command. You'll still have access to Bixby voice controls by double-pressing the key, but the virtual assistant experience is now a lot more like it is on the Pixel.

userPY0bfWYbXP
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I hate both Bixby and Google assistant. <edit>Today i had to ask GA three times for navigation. Finally it responded "ok, let's go" and never spoke to me again. This is the way it always works. And Bixby is worse. I want Samsung CarMode back. It worked fine, but was limited. That was ok.  I have been unable to turn off or disable Bixby and it is infuriating. Now I have just had a software update and Bixby Vision has taken over my camera GRRRR

user4LLS22vaYV
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I changed mine to launch assistant, but honestly I did give it a fair try first. It was pretty cool to get it to operate my phone ("bixby, optimize my phone", "open the YouTube app", etc), while GA helps with my life, but it just didn't win me over. I agree, just kill it already, Samsung!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userfVQBSv5FTn wrote:

to remove bixby permanently:

- proceed with caution.

- full backup (optional)

1) access device's console using ADB.

2) the following are the bixby packages to be uninstalled:

• com.samsung.android.bixby.agent
  • com.samsung.android.bixby.agent.dummy
  • com.samsung.android.bixby.es.globalaction
  • com.samsung.android.bixby.plmsync
  • com.samsung.android.bixby.voiceinput
  • com.samsung.android.bixby.wakeup

3) the command to uninstall a package is the following:

pm uninstall --user 0 <name-pkg>

4) this is the sequence of PM commands to remove bixby:

pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.agent
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.agent.dummy
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.es.globalaction
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.plmsync
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.voiceinput
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.wakeup

How to Install ADB on Windows, macOS, and Linux

mito
userfVQBSv5FTn
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@mitoo00OOO0oo 

Thanks for the procedure,  I was running into permissions issues using PowerShell and adb, I switched to cmd and it seems to work fine.  Double-tap no longer opens Bixby so it might actually be gone (until Samsung and Verizon force another update).

One note, my phone didn't have this package installed:

com.samsung.android.bixby.voiceinput

Though these Bixby packages were still installed:

$ pm list packages --user 0 | grep "bixby"
package:com.samsung.android.app.settings.bixby
package:com.samsung.systemui.bixby2
package:com.samsung.android.bixby.service

I removed the Bixby service package because I assume that's what is running the core service in the background, though do you think it's adventageous to remove the other two?  I'm assuming the other two are superficial packages just by their names but I'm not seeing any errors or issues with them still installed.  I may pull them off anyway.

Thanks again, this seems to have worked great.  Though it would be nice if this was available natively in the OS.

EDIT:  Thinking about this again, I don't think it was permissions issues with PS vs. cmd, I think I was trying to disable the package vs. uninstall it.  Obviously, disabling the package would be preferred in the event it completely borks the phone, but either way, it got the job done.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userfVQBSv5FTn wrote:

@mitoo00OOO0oo 

Thanks for the procedure,  I was running into permissions issues using PowerShell and adb, I switched to cmd and it seems to work fine.  Double-tap no longer opens Bixby so it might actually be gone (until Samsung and Verizon force another update).

One note, my phone didn't have this package installed:

com.samsung.android.bixby.voiceinput

Though these Bixby packages were still installed:

$ pm list packages --user 0 | grep "bixby"
package:com.samsung.android.app.settings.bixby
package:com.samsung.systemui.bixby2
package:com.samsung.android.bixby.service

I removed the Bixby service package because I assume that's what is running the core service in the background, though do you think it's adventageous to remove the other two?  I'm assuming the other two are superficial packages just by their names but I'm not seeing any errors or issues with them still installed.  I may pull them off anyway.

Thanks again, this seems to have worked great.  Though it would be nice if this was available natively in the OS.

EDIT:  Thinking about this again, I don't think it was permissions issues with PS vs. cmd, I think I was trying to disable the package vs. uninstall it.  Obviously, disabling the package would be preferred in the event it completely borks the phone, but either way, it got the job done.

I didn't see your message.

indeed, packages from one service can vary from model to model, for example, bixby, facebook, dialer, contact list, etc.      The removal script I posted is not an ideal solution and far from a definite one.

I removed bixby packages from my devices.   A few days later I started experiencing a new little problem.     Samsung Notes would crash at least once a day for no reason, just sitting in the background.    The logs pointing always to some 'invalid intent' thing.

When Pie was updated on one of the devices, Notes stopped crashing. 

So there is a link between Bixby and Notes, though I scanned the APK files and found no relation between them.

Answering your question, I remove and wipe any package with the name bixby.

At the end of the day, removing bixby did not improve my devices.   I have a new tab s4 which has nothing removed, even Bixby carp is stlill there.   The tablet is still super fast with bloatware.

mito
userLhdFVAxsRz
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
The last update sealed the deal for me. I'm done with Samsung; will never buy another Samsung product. To re-enable Bixby against my will and also remove all ability to disable it is infuriating. Samsung is constantly trying to force adoption of "features" that suit their own purposes and not the for the good of the consumer. I shouldn't pay almost $1,000 for a device that keeps favoring the manufacturer's desire for control and revenue over my preferences for privacy and an unobtrusive experience. Also, nobody should have to root a device to turn off stuff like this. It should be very clear-cut and should not require YET ANOTHER account to accomplish. They're constantly trying to force users to create a useless "Samsung Account" just to get into the app. In the past one could create the pointless Samsung Account, then launch and disable Bixby, then delete the account. Now, after creating the intrusive, useless, spammy account, the settings that would allow one to disable Bixby are gone. It's deliberate, deceptive, and malicious. And don't get me started about the $1,800 Samsung OLED TV that I recently purchased and lasted less than one year. It could not be repaired and was a total loss. Something about the gel behind the glass drying out. Bottom line is, I'm done with Samsung, forever.
userfVQBSv5FTn
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userLhdFVAxsRz To be clear, this doesn't require rooting your phone.  adb allows you to uninstall packages that you have installed simply by putting your phone in debug mode and using the shell.  The frustrating part is that you cannot simply disable the services and take a risk by removing packages / services that could potentially be critical for the OS to function.  That's why mito recommended backing up the phone prior to removing these packages.  Thankfully, this doesn't seem to be the case so far, I've been running fine for a week with Bixby gone with no negative impact.

I am in complete agreement that this is scummy on Samsung's part but at least there is a workaround.  Unfortunately this just seems to be the way that companies are moving these days (I'm looking at you Windows 10) by filling the OS with bloatware that nobody wants and re-enabling services that you've disabled when a major update comes in.