cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Phone thinks its charging when cable is unplugged

Phone started to think it's charging when the cable is not plugged in.  I tried to clean the port with a needle.  I even took it in a repair shop and he cleaned it and said some liquid came out of the port.  I never dropped in water before!  Perhaps it was sweat? Anyways, he sprayed it with something and used compress air and something came out he said.  Problem seemed solved.  I charged the battery which he said was going bad and the problem came back again.  I Googled this and found one suggestion was to take out the battery and hold the power button for 1 minute.  I did this and then put in the same battery and the phone was fine.  I ordered new batteries and put it in without issue but then later the same day the issue returned!  I tried holding the power button and so far so good but I am sure the issue will return.

So what is causing this issue?  If the charging port is replaced will this solve the issue or is it a completely different issue somehow related to stored electricity?  I don't remember a thing about electricity from electric shop in 7th grade which was about 55 years ago!!

I am wondering if I should just buy the same phone again on eBay factory unlocked for about $109. I love this phone since I can still swap out the battery.

I hope you can offer some suggestions!

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Phone thinks its charging when cable is unplugged

Hello,

what phone is it? 

It definitely seems like some type of issue with the charging port. You can try to take it to a Samsung Care authorized shop to see what a technician can do a second time. Let me know if this helps! Thanks. 

For Samsung Care Authorized locations near you:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

Product Expert

Hello @user3DEVw5MsG9 

I would take the phone to a Samsung authorize location to diagnostic the phone, they can tell you what the problem in the phone and what they can do. what kind of phone you have..?

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hello user3DEVw5MsG9,

Never use anything metal and try to clean out the charging port because that could cause the charging pins inside the port to cross or break off.  From what you're discribing and how the charging would work intermittenlly, it does sound like the charging port and unfortunatly to repair that you would need to stop by an authorized samsung repair location.

For Samsung Care Authorized locations near you:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

Highlighted
Constellation

Day2 with a brand new battery.  I charged the phone over night and took out the charging cable.  Again, a few seconds later the phone thinks it is charging.  I took out the battery after powering it off and held the power button for 1 minute and put in the battery and turned on the phone.  It's been about an hour and so far the charging issue has not returned.  So this solves the problem until I'm sure putting the charging cable in again and charging the battery.

Why would just changing the charging port fix the issue?  Wouldn't you wonder that it has to do somehow with how the phone stores any remaining power even after the battery is taken out? I don't remember much from electric shop in the 7th grade over 55 years ago, but it just seems from experimenting that it might be something else.

If repairing this phone would cost over $100, I could buy a brand new factory unlocked Galaxy S5 for about $109.

Thank you to all of you for any ideas and future ones you can think of.

I'll await any other suggestions and then can take the phone in to be diagnosed.

I'll give that repair shop a heads up as well today.

Highlighted
Constellation

Day 3 with a new battery.  Charged overnight and as soon as the cable was taken out the issue started with thinking it was charging.  After about 5 sets of this, I took out the battery, held the power button for at least 1 minute and so far it has not returned.

Any idea on what is causing this and as mentioned above in the previous post, do you think it really is the charging port that is causing this or something else in the phone that needs repair or replacement?

Highlighted
Constellation

Day 4 with the new battery:

Unplugged charged battery from the phone overnight.  So far, 1.5 hours later,no issues at all.  Very strange for sure.  Will keep this updated.  

Highlighted
Constellation

Day 5 with the new battery.

Charged battery overnight.  Unplugged the cable and issue returned.  Took out the battery and held the power button for 1 min.  So far so good.  No issue.

What the heck is going on to do this?  

Could there be something else causing this besides the charging port?  

Any ideas?  Very frustrating.