cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dj_gabe
Constellation

Please don't remove the 3.5m auxiliary port from the galaxy S phones

There are myriad reasons as to why the 3.5mm auxiliary port should not be removed from the Picasso line of Galaxy S phones, and, with the exception of cutting costs by a negligible amount, I cannot think of one reason as to why it should be removed.  As the age old adage states: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

1. Audio Quality

When it comes to the quality of audio achieved by bluetooth vs traditional analog headphones and speakers, bluetooth simply cannot compare.  Bluetooth 5 boasts a maximum theoretial bandwidth of about 780Kbps when transmitting at a rate of 1000 Kbps, however, this is not the real-world bandwidth actually achieved given existing technology and the nature of bluetooth itself. 

First, that 780Kbps refers to the maximum amount of data being received, and not the audio data exclusively.  The receiving signal includes the audio data, play/pause data, volume control data, voice commands, etc.  Further, this is given an extremely high-quality bluetooth transceiver.  Typical devices allow for the 300-400Kbps range. 

Secondly, the transmitting and receiving device must communicate with one another and negotiate a logical-link in which to guaruntee a set bandwidth to allocate to each device, and this differs depending on the use of the device (a gps device, smart watch, headphones, etc.)   The logical-link used for audio data through bluetooth is the Synchronous Connection-Oriented Link (SCO).  The SCO guarantees a bandwidth up to 64Kbps, which is horrendously low, given that standard MP3's are now rendered at 320Kpbs, and lets not-mention lossless audio. 

Lastly, Bluetooth is subject to interference from wifi, cell phones, and other emf's, which can cause noise and further limit the bandwidth.

One might argue the typical listener may not notice the difference between 64Kbps and fully lossless audio such as a .wav or .flac, capable of more than 2000Kbps, except at high volumes, but this is not the case for all consumers.  Audiophiles and audio engineers, such as myself, count on lossless audio, which Bluetooth is not and will never be capable of.

USB-C to 3.5mm is subject to quality loss as well.  The audio can only be as good as the DAC/Amplifier built into the dongle will allow.  This is subject to the quality of the dongle and may ore may not be capable of the same quality.  Plus, using a dongle limits the user to one function, either audio or power, not both.  You can charge your device and listen to music simultaneously using the usb-c port.

2. Battery life (of phone and headset)

Bluetooth headphones require an independent power source, where as the majority of analog headphones can be powered through the auxiliary port on the phone.  The bluetooth connection also puts a further strain on the battery of the transmitting device. 

3.  Compatibility

The auxiliary port is a universal means of transmitting high-quality data for a variety of uses.  Text information, Audio transmitting and receiving, power, remote functions (volume control, play/pause, etc.), and more. 

4. Ease of Use

When the aux port allows for immediate plug and play use, bluetooth does not.  The process of pairing and connecting devices can be meticulous and annoying, and has for many people resulted in the foregoing of using a device all together. 

5. Consumer Spending Habits

While total spending on wireless audio devices has surpassed total spending on wired audio devices recently, I do not believe this is due to a consumer preference for wireless audio.  Firstly, when someone owns a good pair of wired headphones or earbuds, they likely will not replace them unless the are lost or break, and this does not occur on a yearly basis for all consumers.  Second, bluethooth earbuds are easy to lose, necessitating the consumer to purchase a replacement pair.  Bluethooth earbuds are also breakable, necessitating a replacement pair.  Third, a large portion of wireless audio devices are purchased by apple consumers, who have no choice, as apple has already removed the aux port from their devices.  Please don't be another apple.  So, consumers aren't buying more wireless devices because they want to, it's because the have to.

6. Durability/Potential for Loss

The durability and potential for loss regarding audio devices was covered in Consumer spending habits, yet this also applies to the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, the alternative option to bluetooth.  This adapter is fragile and easily lost as well.

7. User Hostility

All of the above reasons can be viewed as hostile toward the Samsung customer base, of which I have been a loyal member for nearly 10 years, since I had my first cellphone at 14.  The 3.5mm port is an extremely useful and cheap feature to include on the phone, and a large portion of the customer base will be alienated by removing it.  Many people such as myself own high-quality auxiliary headphones or speakers, and do not want to make the switch to bluetooth. 

Please, don't be another Apple.