cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user0YSvIN7KH8
Asteroid

Recent S7 Edge update on AT&T makes phone UNBEARABLY slow.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I updated about 3 times within this month, which I found odd since AT&T barely rolls out updates for Galaxy phones. The last two were okay, I did notice the difference in the interface with 7.0, but this recent update is what is making me fuming.

I can barely use the phone sometimes. It becomes so unresponsive that I expect the whole phone to hard-reset by itself, but it never does. 

When scrolling through the notification panel, it jitters like crazy, as well as when I'm in other apps like Facebook and Instagram. Snapchat takes about a minute to fully work without the camera cutting frames...

When I'm in Chrome, it lags and freezes constantly. When I pull up Google Keyboard, the whole phone stops responding for a good 30 seconds. (yes, literally) 

The battery drains like crazy. When I first got the phone (about 6 months ago now), the battery would last me 20 hrs+. As of now it only lasts 12 hrs max with barely using it. I'm thinking of doing a hard reset but I've done that before with my past Galaxy's when I had similar problems but it didn't seem to work too much. 

Is there any way of optimizing the device to perform as expected? Or at least better than what I'm experiencing right now? I've tried different cleaning apps, and tried using the Device Management in Settings, but nothing seems to work. 

I appreciate the feedback.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Recent S7 Edge update on AT&T makes phone UNBEARABLY slow.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello there, @user0YSvIN7KH8
Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let us know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometime Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

If those don't help, we certainly want to assist you further with this matter. To better do that, can we have some added details about your specific device and this concern? Things that will help the most would be the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device as well as your carrier. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello there, @user0YSvIN7KH8
Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let us know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometime Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

If those don't help, we certainly want to assist you further with this matter. To better do that, can we have some added details about your specific device and this concern? Things that will help the most would be the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device as well as your carrier. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, @user0YSvIN7KH8. I just wanted to reach back out and see if those steps helped out! If not, please let the Community know so that they can look into different ideas to help further.

user0YSvIN7KH8
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for the reply, I have followed each step and found that it helped. The phone still sometimes lags and freezes but not as bad as before, even in safe mode. The solution made it bearable to use the phone again but still not satisfied as to how slow it has been since the time that I got it. I delete apps I don't use, and I try to clean out app cache frequently, as well as delete unnecessary files using a cleanup app. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am glad to hear that things are better though! It's a step in the right direction for sure.  Smiley Happy

Out of curiosity, how much free space do you have on your device right now?

user0YSvIN7KH8
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So after a couple days of following the advice, I hit another road block. The phone is still acting as originally descripted, and have no way of solving it now. Any other advice? I currently am using 21 GBs of 32 GBs total. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This sounds like you might need to have the device sent in for an evaluation/repair. In that case, definitely reach out to Samsung directly via Phone (1-800-SAMSUNG/1-800-726-7864), Twitter, or even Facebook. Naturally you can also reach out to your carrier to see if they have a different option you might like more or maybe someone here in the Community has some other ideas!

useroyavW3NXEM
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When I try to bring it up to clear the cache I get a circle and it slowly increments to 100%. Took over an hour. I tried it again and it started at 100% and just sat there until I hit the power.

I honestly believe this is Samsung crippling the phones to force us to a new phone. My sons and mine both did it on the last update. I even have all updates off, but it updates anyhow. When Apple did this to me, I left them and never went back. They have just lost another couple of Samsung users.

UNLESS... someone knows how to wind it back to an earlier uncrippled version.

userNzGpUCzlc6
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My device is doing the same thing since this week's update. I just want to throw against the wall becuase I can't even answer phone calls at times becuase it's so slow.

userHoAmhFm5Ll
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Add my phones to this list. I did troubleshooting in ATT store and they suggested a device swap. That didn't help. My new phne, in use for three days now, has the same issue. 

I notice it most with google maps - directions are too slow, sometimes telling me my turn is xxx feet ahead as I pass it up. Biggest issue is extreme slowness. I hit a button and it can take 30 seconds for the device to respond. Like the OP said, yes 30 seconds, and sometimes more.