Original topic:

Repair corrupt(?) Android (stuck in boot loop) or extract key data

(Topic created: 05-21-2021 01:17 PM)
usercaIwsac1W3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have a Galaxy S7 (GM-930A) that appears to have a (partially?) corrupt Android OS.  It won’t boot past the “Samsung Galaxy S7 powered by Android” screen.  I can get to Maintenance and Recovery, but the options are limited.  Booting into safe mode does the same as normal boot (stays stuck on that screen).

I have every intention of trashing this handset once I figure out a way to recover data (contacts, text messages).  App data would be good also but not essential.  No, I didn’t do any routine backups via Google cloud-style because I don’t like having my privacy violated and I recognize I’m now paying the price for that decision.

Everybody tells me to do a factory reset but that will destroy the data I want to recover.  Have tried installing drfone, tenorshare, fonelab, etc on my PC but none recognize that a smartphone is connected by USB.

Goal:

1. A) Repair the Android OS without corrupting my data (restore ability to boot, then transfer data to my new phone using Samsung Smart Switch), OR
  2. B)  Pull out a transferable copy of my contacts list and text messages using some third-party software installed on my PC.

Suggestions?  Thanks.

0 Likes
2 Replies
TheGalaxy
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Use Odin
Get the correct firmware
When flashing make sure not to select the home_CSC file
research before flashing
0 Likes
usercaIwsac1W3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

[re-send]

As noted in the original post, my phone is an SM-G930A (AT&T) but it has only been used on Verizon.  Don't recall, but I guess it got unlocked at some point.  Regardless, as you said, one of the first things is to get the right firmware package.  Sammobile.com doesn't list a USA-based version for the G930A (only gives 40+ foreign countries), but it does list a USA package for the SM-G930V (Verizon).  Am wondering if I can use the G930V package, since my carrier is Verizon, or if I need to search elsewhere for a true G930A download?

0 Likes