Original topic:

S10 black clipping at minimum brightness still hasnt been fixed.

(Topic created: 07-25-2021 02:26 AM)
userlcawYVDI3D
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Im a person who uses my phone at minimum brightness very frequently and at minimum brightness very dark shades of colors or shades in general turn to black and cause a loss of detail. This is called black clipping. It effects many things like dark scenes in movies and films, games that are dark in general... that is anything with dark content.

Now i know why this happens. Its because s10 increases gamma as you lower your screen brightness below ~%20 and this increased gamma makes the shades disppear into black. My proof is that when you make the phone enter HIGH BRIGHTNESS MODE, which uses very low gamma for sunlight legibility, and pull the brightness slider all the way to the left (to the minimum), there is no more black clipping. Which means if gamma is lower, black clipping is not a problem anymore.

Phones like s21, any iphone, google pixel 5, xperia 1 II all use the standart 2.2 gamma throughout their brightness range, including minimum brightness, so they have much less black clipping at minimum brightness.

I would like s10 to do this as well. Maybe add an option so that gamma stays the same at minimum brightness instead of increasing. That is it should stay at 2.2 even at minimum brightness, so that there would be less black clipping.

It could be added as an option under display settings and could be called "Enhanced Shadow Detail" and people who like darker colors or screen can keep it off, thus making everyone happy.

6 Replies
TheGalaxy
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S Phones
This effect partially because of AMOLED technology. The reason you see better at minimum brightness in the sun is because of the reflection of sun light from the screen.
0 Likes
userlcawYVDI3D
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Did you mean maximum brightness under the sun? And no, reflection from the sun causes dark parts of image to blend in together and this is why high brightness mode severly decreases gamma to combat this situation. 

0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S Phones
You said that, in the sun, when bringing the brightness to minimum results in no black clipping. So when the brightness is minimum in the sun, what you see is mostly the reflection of sun light from the screen. It is the sun light that helps to view the content of the screen and consequently, no black clipping.
Also, I'm not sure if AMOLED screens produce that much gamma. It would be helpful if we can measure with a gamma machine.
0 Likes
userlcawYVDI3D
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

First of all, i didnt mention viewing my screen under the sun.  You can put the phone into HBM by shining a flashlight on it.

Second of all, you absolutely cannot see anything if you try to view your display under sun at minimum brightness. 

Lastly, your last sentence tells me you have no idea what gamma is. And i would like to know what you think gamma means.

0 Likes
Blue7
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S Phones

so isn't this a hardware limitation? submit an error report on samsung members app > + button > error report if you think it's a software issue

0 Likes
userlcawYVDI3D
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

no its not a hardware issue. Technically speaking there isnt a problem in software either. Its just a poor choice to use higher gamma at minimum brightness. I have reported it many times but looks like nothings gonna change 😕

0 Likes