Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user8xIIwP4BeG
Asteroid

S5 WiFi will not turn on

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After returning my Note 7 I reactivated my S5 with Verizon. The S5 was working fine prior to the note. It now will not connect to WiFi, when in WiFi settings the on/off bar is grayed out. I have done a network reset and a full factory reset, twice, also removed battery and SIM card and it has not helped. My preference is to wait until the Note 8 is available so I'd like to get this figured out so I don't have to go with a new phone (under payment plan) that I don't really want. 

Thanks

Galaxy 

Samsung - SM-G900V

Android version 6.0.1

Android security patch Jan 1st 2017

Baseband Version G900VVRS2DQA1

Kernel Version 3.4.0 DPI@SWDD5720 #1

Build number  MMB29M. G900VVRS2DQA1

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: S5 WiFi will not turn on

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Try going to Settings > Backup and reset > Reset settings. You should then be able to select Wi-Fi on and off.

16 REPLIES 16
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello there, @user8xIIwP4BeG. We're glad you reached out here with your concern.

Have you reached out to your carrier about this one? Normally networks are under tight examination and control by carriers, so often they know if something is wrong. That can be anything from the network in your area having problems to your device needing a new SIM card to connect properly. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

user8xIIwP4BeG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I guess I should have added, approximately 7 other devices in my home connect without any issues. When this originally started after reactivation it was a constant connect.. Disconnect over and over. During the writing of this I again removed the battery. For giggles I pulled the Sim card & then put it all back. WiFi immediately connected & stayed connected. Strange because this is certainly not the 1st time it's been done since this began. Hours later it is now beginning to disconnect & then immediately reconnect. 

Bottom line I know the problem is not the WiFi provider or Verizon. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sounds like it's the SIM card then. Here comes that "reach out to your carrier" thing again. They can get you a new SIM card so this won't happen. Probably just an older card so it's acting up, but as carriers are the only ones that can give out their own cards, only Verizon would have that for you.  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

user8xIIwP4BeG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks,  I'll give it a go. 

userAu1ySVf1Nk
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My carrier replaced my sim card and my s5 still does this. So sim card is not my problem. Any other suggestions?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let me know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometimes Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

userDYeDjuEquW
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I have the same issues as above. i factory reset the phone, it doesnt have a sim card in it, im preparing the phone to give to my son for his birthday. to complete the software update steps above, how do you do that without wifi?

20171108_132615.jpgUploaded from community android app.

userDYeDjuEquW
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
additional screen shot

20171108_132603.jpg

userS6Uf180gma
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This ever get fixed?  Mine is doing the exact same after I reactivated it.  No wifi - just greyed out