cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stealintv
Asteroid

S6 Edge Battery Drain & Dropped Calls all the time after update.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello all, I have a S6 Edge through AT&T that has been the best phone I have ever owned until now. A little over a month ago, I received an OTA update, and now my battery will not last more than 8 hours after a full charge. In fact, I charged to 100% then drove to the AT&T store 35 minutes from my house, and had 82% remaining after only sending a few text messages, and looking up the hours for the AT&T store on Google Maps. That is unacceptable! Upon speaking to the AT&T rep, I was informed that my phone was out of warranty just by one month. I was informed that I could claim the phone on insurance for a replacement for $100 US, but after reading about this issue on numerous forums, I feel that this is an issue with the S6 phone in general; not just mine. Not to mention this phone almost cost $1000 to purchase, I feel it should last longer than 13 months!!!

I have cleared my Cache, turned off all unused radios, updated apps, tried safe mode, power/ultra power saving mode, removed almost all apps, and checked my storage (still have 33GB free) tried changing the date to reconnect through the server, among other things I have read suggested on this forum to no avail.

Then yesterday, I found interesting thing. I unplugged my phone from the charger in the morning (100%), forgot my phone when going to an appointment. I returned home 3 hours later to find the battery at 72%. No one else had access to the phone, it was just sitting on the table, and lost over 1/4 of the battery charge with the screen off. Again, this is unacceptable. 

When checking my Battery stats through the "Settings" screen, I find that "Android OS" and "Screen" are the culprits. 

My other issue is that since this most recent update, I have not been able to make a phone call over a few minutes before the call is dropped. This happens when calling landlines, too, so I know it is not the other person's phone. My call log shows 6-7 calls to each person within a few minutes becasue I cannot stay connected. I also noticed that when sending texts, they fail about 50% of the time, and I must resend them. I use this phone for my business, and am about ready to get another brand. The whole reason I went with a Samsung was becasue the battery life was better than Apple. Again, this is a new issue since the update. I live in a well populated city with great cellular reception. I never had this issue until the most recent update was installed on my phone.

If I factory reset, will my phone have the original version of Android it came installed with, or will I just have a clean copy of Marshmallow? Thanks in advance for your time. I am extremely frustrated!

Cheers!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
stealintv
Asteroid

Re: S6 Edge Battery Drain & Dropped Calls all the time after update.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello all, Just wanted to say that Samsung Experience was no help. I ended up getting a replacement s6 edge through AT&T's insurance claim. The new phone came with Marshmallow, unfortunately, and I still have the same battery drain. I can make calls again though. This leads me to believe that the Marshmallow OS uses way more of your battery life. Hopefully, they get this worked out. I will be sticking with this phone until something better comes along. Thanks to everyone for your replies, and especially @Superman for taking time out of your day. I will learn to live with the rapid decay of my battery life, but at least I can make calls now. That is, after all, what a phone is for!

17 REPLIES 17
Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@stealintv factory reset will give you a clean version on Marshmallow. 

It could still help fix some of the battery drain issue. 

If you do it, do not setup NOW cards and ok Google. Those features suck battery and you see it as Android OS in the list. 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

stealintv
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
OK, I will try that after backing up my data. I just disabled OK Google as I am at work. I lost, 3% of the battery just navigating to the google voice setting page.... This is crazy! Thanks.
Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Now cards is the biggest battery user as it regularly checked to see where you are and in what context it needs to show you information. 

Also upon doing the factory reset, do not restore your apps. Just start with a clean phone test it for a day. 

stealintv
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
@Superman I had to look up NOW cards to even see what that is. I definitely have never used those, and do not intend to once I reset. Thanks for your speedy responses.
stealintv
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
FYI
MODEL NUMBER SM-G925A
BASEBAND - G925AUCS4CPG1

For any others that choose to respond. Thanks in advance!
stealintv
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Superman I had time to do the factory reset last night. I did not restore apps, disabled OK Google, and NOW. I successfully made a 40 minute phone call without it being dropeed 6 times following the restore!  I have only restored my contacts, and installed FIrefox and Chase Banking apps through the app store. 

I am at work today, so the phone will mostly be idle. I will update with the battery results. So far it has dropped 11% since I pulled it off the charger, but I was busy disabling/uninstalling facebook, and all the AT&T bloatware that comes on the phone. We shall see! Thanks again for your help.

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Charge it fully at night and leave on unplugged through the night (assuming you don't use your phone at all during the night). In the morning you can see what is consuming battery while phones is idle.

stealintv
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Superman I tried what you said, and I am still experiencing more than normal drain with the phone idle overnight. I charged to 100%, then unplugged the phone overnight while I was asleep. I lost 21% of the battery in 7 hours with the screen off. There is a sudden drop in the graph near 7am when I woke up, and checked my bank account, and email before I remembered to take the screenshot, but other than that the graph is representing the screen off overnight. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, after reading a newer post on here from another user @Roadrunner74 regarding Ultra Battery Saver Mode not showing as long of a battery life. I turned that on just to check, and I am showing similar results. I am ony showing 1.4 days on a full charge with that mode ON, when it used to say 2.3 days prior to the Marshmallow update.

I appreciate the help/comments from power users on this forum, but does Samsung have any input? This is really annoying, and AT&T will not allow a downgrade back to Lollipop when the phone actually worked. I have read the google code forums regarding bugs for android, and it seems there are a lot of people experiencing this issue with the Samsung s5, s6, and s7 phones. Google considers the issue "low" priority because the device still functions. AT&T offered me a replacement phone for $100 US, but i am afraid it will come with Marshmallow, and I will have the same issue missing $100 from my wallet.

Time to start researching the Nexus. Thoughts?

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION
This is a community support forum. So are you going to get help pretty much from users like me. Your phone idle should not take that much of your battery and same is with the cell standby. Frankly if I were you I would back up everything that is important to me and do a factory reset on the phone. After factory reset try to not restore every single app automatically. Basically test out the phone's battery life and its basic set up.