JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S7 Camera not working

(Topic created on: 11/29/19 8:09 AM)
user79gpmOqQHH
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Out of the blue my camera stopped working and all I get is the Camera failed message.  I have done every troubleshooting tip: clearing cache and data on camera and gallery, turn off smart stay, running in safe mode and wipe cache partition. 

I see numerous threads about this issue but no resolution.  Also getting the mesage that the flashlight is being used by another app.  Tried installing third party camera apps and they all say the camera is in use by another app.  This has to be a software issue.  

JUMP TO SOLUTION
29 Replies
RobErrett
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

SAME ISSUE! A certified tech is over an hour away. Samsung. please step up and do something. Not having a camera is costing me missed pictures of my kids growing up. They are 3 and 1 and i don't want to miss any more picture oppertunities.

usergq22sHh3OW
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

they say they can't fix it. when is samsung going to have a update to fix it?

0 Likes
Samsung_bCFvIRh
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am beginning to believe it's a scam and Samsung once you buy a new phone my grandbabies phone is doing the same thing I'm not going to pay more money for a phone I'll just go with another brand all together this is crazy everybody seems to be having the same problem that makes me think something big brother is watching us how sad you can't even have a phone and take pictures I'm going to get all of hers downloaded and printed out and then delete every photo in that phone all together this Samsung Galaxies are not cut out to be what they say they are they're selling false advertisement that's sad ripping people off

Dotz45
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Not ready to call this a fix, but it seems to work. I am not confident about taking the back off my phone, but I did remove the case (Spigen Neo Hybrid) to see if that made a different. At first it did, then it didn't. So I gave it a little pressure on the back just below the rear shutter. And it worked. And it worked many more times. Until it didn't. But when I applied the pressure again before doing the Quick Launch (two quick presses of the Home key) it worked again. I also tried exerting a little pressure on the screen in the same location and that also worked but I was afraid of cracking the screen. Since this is where the battery is on the inside, I have a feeling that is where the problem lies, although I've read that others have replaced the battery and it didn't solve the problem. I'd love to know it this works for anyone else. I was desparate to fix this as my son and family live halfway around the world, and WhatsApp video chats are essential during this pandemic. Hope this works for you. And maybe prompts the REAL solution to the problem by someone more tech-savvy than I.

0 Likes
Maisy_Loco
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My camera just stopped working today.  Looked up all the "solutions" and nothing.  I noticed my screen lighting looked weird and after reading messages on here and the flashlight seems to be on that makes sense.  What is going on with this and why isn't there a fix for this yet?    I can't afford a new phone just for the camera and I need the camera.

0 Likes
userDUhY0Vndm6
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

EXACT same symptoms. Tried all the fixes including factory reset. Not happy at all with Samsung and Verizon's complete lack of attention to what is obviously a widespread problem. 

Seems like a software isssue but regardless of the cause, this needs to be addressed...can you say class action Samsung? I bet ya can....

FIX THIS!

userECWbv6XYFY
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My camera app stated to fail last week.  Today I finally had time to mess around with a solution.  I reset to the phone settting (not entire factory reset) and this seemed to work.  For now.  The Galaxy S7 I have had for 4 years, it's a work horse.  Looking to upgrade to Galaxy S20+.  But for now the camera is working again.  Luckily I back up all my photos.  

Cminor66
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have been a faithful android specifically Samsung user. I'm now done going back to Apple universe. Can't even fix a simple camera issue! It's ridiculous!
Cminor66
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Hey not sure if anyone else noticed. When pressing the back arrow, instructions flash for like a half a second. Similar to setting up oculus. This may have something to do with it.
0 Likes
Amateur
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It is a JOKE to say this issue is solved!

I have two Galaxy S7 phones, both have this problem, one is currently stuck in a boot loop, the other had camera in safe mode until I performed a factory reset ( had a lot of 3rd party software). 

Now no camera (warning, camera failed) or flashlight (camera light in use by another app).

There are a lot of "solutions" out there but I haven't seen anyone claim first-hand success. Non of these worked for me. 

I have now performed all the following measures on both phones:

1. Restart app

2. turn off smart stay, proximity, etc

3. restart phone

4. restart phone in safe mode

5. clear camera data and cache

6. clear gallery data and cache

7. clear system cache

8. Performed camera tests in service menu ("camera test keeps stopping")

9. factory reset

nothing worked except safe mode on one of the phones -- until the factory reset which broke it in safe mode too. 

This has to be a software issue, it was caused by software updates. I am thinking about never purchasing another Samsung anything, ever!

0 Likes