Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userNgCNlok4N1
Cosmic Ray

S7 Edge Auto Brightness stopped working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello All,

I bought s7 edge just 2 months back and here there is a problem!

I have observed my phone's display does not respond to ambient light level. When I am turning auto-brightness off/on, level on the brighness slider always gets set half way. I see phone is not sensing light level through sensor, I tried keeping hand over it and it does not change brightness at all. I tried restarting and even safe mode but its always half level brightness. No response to whether it is daylight or dark night. Samsung support says try Factory reset!!! I am trying to get help from you guys in case if you know any other way to avoid hassles of restoring everything. Please help!!!!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userNgCNlok4N1
Cosmic Ray

Re: S7 Edge Auto Brightness stopped working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Issue is gone automatically! I was preparing for backup so I can do Factory reset. I used Samsung+ -> Storage -> Clean and cleared system Cache. It started working now! 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The slider on the bar from what I've always assumed, is the default brightness you'd like to keep your device adjusted to in the the normal light setting you're in. When I go into a darker room, it adjusts, and the brightness lowers even more so it doesn't stand out as much. However when this happens, the slider does not adjust at all, it's just something that is automatically done, which why you don't see the slider moving back and forth to adjust. If you have a closet, or dark room you can try it out in, go for it. Set your slider all the way to the right so it's max brightness at that auto setting, and see if it tones down once you enter the dark room.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

userNgCNlok4N1
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for reply. I understand what you are trying to say but that is not the issue related to slider. Brightness level does not change when it is dark or too bright. Seem it does not sense it at all (in auto mode). I am talking about very basic feature. Not like keep it auto and then adjust the level even further in auto mode which is great Samsung ONLY feature.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ah ok, just wanted to make sure I was understanding this completely. So it's just not working as it's intended to, which definitely sounds like it isn't even sensing like you said. You've taken a lot of steps it seems already, which I would have suggested, so you may need to consider backing up your device just in case you need to Factory Reset down the line. As always, I would like to invite anyone who may be familiar with this specific problem to chime in if they have any other information on this.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

userNgCNlok4N1
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Issue is gone automatically! I was preparing for backup so I can do Factory reset. I used Samsung+ -> Storage -> Clean and cleared system Cache. It started working now! 

View solution in original post

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Awesome to hear! Clearing the System Cache completely slipped my mind, but this is always something that should be done on the regular. Especially after updates, since a lot of that residual data gets cached to your device and ends up causing irregularities such as this for example. Glad you didn't have to factory reset!

user3eV4MzkjHX
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am not getting exact path to resolve this problem could yo u please reply once again.

Thanks in advance.

userW1AF45Dgs4
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sorry but can you explain the steps you did.

Because I had the same problem and don't know how to fix it

Thanks

userfYtjBVwkct
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Smiley Happy

uservCPzeFC0WK
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know that this issue has already been solved, but I was also experiencing the same thing.  I also noticed that my Samsung Health app wasn't recording my steps...

With that in mind I disabled the health app and restarted my phone.  The auto dimming/brightening feature resumed proper functionality.

The I re-enabled the health app, and it began counting my steps once more.

I don't know if the two were related, but both issues appear to be resolved for now.