cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Black Hole

Re: S7 Edge Lock screen PIN not working.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there, @RichardHC

I’m sorry you’ve had such a bad experience. I’d like to try and help. I do see that you are located in Australia. For the best support what you are experiencing, we recommend reaching out to your regional support at 1300 362 603 or Samsung Australia, or carrier for additional options or steps they may have available.

If you are using a device that was not designed for your market, please refer to link here: Foreign Support Link for specific contact information

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsungluan.

Thanks for the response.  I haven't phoned those numbers as I'd already done a factory reset.

It wasn't THAT bad an experience - I was able to get it all working again within 2 hours after the factory reset and the main data area (the micro SD card) was unaffected as I pulled it before the reset.

However, the cause of the original problem remains both unresolved and apaprently from this thread, not that uncommon.

At home I have 2 workstations with a total data storage of more than 30 TB so my S7 is very much a convenience add-on but some people use their smartphones as a primary data area so this fault might be much more annoying to them.  Samsung really should be treating it more seriously than they appear to be from this thread.  (Although I guess after Samsung's  Note 7 experience, this looks minor).

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Completely understand where you're coming from. I can keep notes of this specific issue, and make sure it's forwarded in the right direction. As far as what happens after that, I can only keep tabs on it as best as I can. Until I have more of that information, I'll just keep trying my best to provide assistance to those in need, and hopefully get it resolved without a loss of data at that!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi -

This just happened to me. AAAAAH!   My phone is no longer accepting my PIN. 

And I literally did NOTHING - no changes in SIM or passcode or security settings. 

Nothing. 

Galaxy S7 (Not an Edge)

Model number: SM-G030V

Android version:  6.0.1

Android security patch level: July 1, 2016

Baseband version: G930VVRS2APF2

Hardware version: REV0.6

Security Software version:

MDF v2.0 Release 6

VPN v1.4 Release 6.0

(not sure what info would be helpful). 

Please tell me I do not have to do a factory reset.  

- Are you using your device continually for long periods of time? ie.(more than 3 days at a time) 

No. I worked especially long days the last 2 days and my phone was idle much of the time.  

- Are you a data intensive user?  (How to wipe the Cache Partition on your phone or tablet

No.  Very low data user. 

I still have fingerprint access so I did try clearing the cache. This did not solve the problem but of course I can't restart the phone because when it restarts I will have to enter my PIN to open it, fingerprint won't work. 

- Have you recently changed your PIN?

No.  I've had the same PIN for 8+ months.

- Are you attempting to place your PIN on a Swipe Lock? (it's happened) 

No. I have made no changes to anything related to like this. 

- Have you recently replaced your SIM card or service?

No. Same SIM card and service since I bought it a year ago.

I just picked it up to when I heard a text message come in and it wouldn't accept my PIN. 

Verizon Network. 

HELP!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey stolle3314. This is not good, and I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. Not to worry though, I'm going to do my best to try and see if we can rectify this problem, and maybe anyone else's who happens upon this post. First and foremost, if you're able to, I'd like for you to backup all your data using the SmartSwitch PC application found here http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/. This way you can have a bit of peace of mind when it comes to the information stored on your device.

Aside from clearing the cache, what other steps have you tried yourself? This way I'm making sure not to repeat any troubleshooting steps you may have taken already. There were a handful of solutions in this thread that had worked for various other folks, and not sure if you had a chance to read over any of them yet. Let me know once you get your data backed up, or if you run into any issues doing so. I'm here to help.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SamsungMarcos,

How do you back up data if you can't access your phone???

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ah, that's totally my bad for overlooking that. You're completely right in not being able to get that backup going without full access to your device. I've got some more stuff you can try that might help you out, let me grab you those steps.

First thing you can try is your devices default pin. This is normally the last four digits of your phone number, and put in place for specific instances like this. There's also putting your phone into Safe Mode, which has shown to work for a select few in this thread I believe. But if you're not confident with doing this yourself, I'd suggest going to your carrier and having them take a look at what they can do for you for this specific instance.

The last thing I can have you try, especially if you setup a Google account with your device, is the Android Device Manager page. I'll grab you a link for this to view and try yourself real quick. Please be aware though that when doing this, if it confirms, you can have up to a 24hr cool down time before that actual pin gets reset.

Here is the link - Android Device Manager

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Restarting the phone solved the problem. 

I was still able to get into my phone because I have the fingerprint access set up but some features still require PIN. 

And it's already backed up because I use carbonite. 

I read all the info I could find here and also talked to other people who have Samsung Galaxy S6 or S7.

One person said his phone has done this several times and rather than trying the PIN until it exceeds the max tries and wipes the phone, he restarts the phone and it then it takes his PIN again. 

That solved the problem for me.

Risky because I was still able to unlock it with fingerprint but after restart it requires PIN so if the restart didn't work I was scrooged.  

Thanks for the quick response! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Awesome! I'm really glad to hear you got this resolved without needing a factory reset and losing all your data. Feel free to save the previous steps I had provided so you can look into Android Device Manager. This way, should something like this happen in the future, you'll have that as a nice fail safe, and will be a lot more at ease knowing you have a way to always reset that pin. Back up plans never hurt!

Thank you again for your patience.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK I'm on the 30 moinute delay. Because my pin won't work. This happened when I restarted my OS. If I reset my password at https://us.account.samsung.com/accounts what will I lose on my S7 Edge?

I know it's the correct password. I restarted it a couple of weeks ago.