cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chupi
Cosmic Ray

S7: Eject SIM & MicroSD without turning off?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Galaxy S7 series uses a single tray to hold the SIM card and MicroSD.

I see an option in Android 6.0.1 to eject the MicroSD, but to physically remove it I have to take out the SIM card as well. I don't see a function to safely remove the SIM. Is it safe to just yank it with the phone on, assuming I'm not in a call or downloading a file over the mobile network? Or do I need to shut my phone down to change the MicroSD because the SIM is in the same tray?

EDIT: Additional info, if it matters: I have the "US unlocked" edition of the S7 Edge, and I'm using it on T-Mobile.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Comet

Re: S7: Eject SIM & MicroSD without turning off?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Theoretically, you can remove the Sim and MicroSD with the device still powered on and reinsert the tray. The MicroSD claims to be hot swappable. You will likely have to cycle the connection by toggling Airplane Mode to reconnect to your provider's tower. 

That said, I've never done it. I have always felt safer shutting down the device and then opening the tray.

How often are you removing and replacing the MicroSD? 

Once in awhile, just play it safe and power down..

(But if you are popping it in and out frequently, you may have another issue down the road with the water / dust seal for the tray, heads-up.)

-Enver
S7 G930U / Gear S2 / Tab 4 7.0
...S5 (G900A) and Express (i437p AT&T) in there too...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Theoretically, you can remove the Sim and MicroSD with the device still powered on and reinsert the tray. The MicroSD claims to be hot swappable. You will likely have to cycle the connection by toggling Airplane Mode to reconnect to your provider's tower. 

That said, I've never done it. I have always felt safer shutting down the device and then opening the tray.

How often are you removing and replacing the MicroSD? 

Once in awhile, just play it safe and power down..

(But if you are popping it in and out frequently, you may have another issue down the road with the water / dust seal for the tray, heads-up.)

-Enver
S7 G930U / Gear S2 / Tab 4 7.0
...S5 (G900A) and Express (i437p AT&T) in there too...

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Chupi
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Very rarely. I guess I'll just shut it down times I do. I can use the USB OTG and a card reader if I want to transfer files to/from another card.

Good point about the seal though. Thanks.