cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Denialator03
Asteroid

S7 active data roaming issue after Oreo update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm a Canadian truck driver that has an (unlocked) S7 Active (on T-Mobile) that I've recently upgraded to Oreo via Odin. The phone works better than ever except now when I'm in Canada, data no longer works properly. I say properly because every once in a while it will connect long enough to receive a few emails then will disconnect again. But most of the time it just doesn't connect. The data roaming worked perfectly on Nougat (BRA7). 

Here's what i've done so far:

Flashed Oreo (CRE7) via Odin 3.13.1

Factory reset via recovery

Cleared Cache via recovery

Data doesn't connect properly.

Downloaded CRE7 again in case it was a bad download. 

Repeated the flashing, factory reset, and clearing of the cache just in case something went wrong.

Data still not working properly.

Restarted phone, cycled airplane mode, #766#

Bought a new SIM thinking that may be the problem. But no change with the data.

And yes mobile data and international data are turned on in the phone.

When I flashed the phone I was at home in Canada. So I thought maybe it would have to connect to a T-Mobile tower to get the proper network settings. So on my next trip to the US, the data worked perfectly in the US once it connected to a T-mobile tower. But once back in Canada it stopped working.

When I manually try to switch to a Canadian network (Bell, Telus or Rogers), I will get the message "Disconnect Network... Unable to search for networks while data service is in use. Stop using current data service and search for other available networks?" which is weird because the phone isn't connected to data.

Any of the sim card apps i've used show the network type as being LTE though, but there's no data on the phone.

What am i missing?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Denialator03
Asteroid

Re: S7 active data roaming issue after Oreo update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

But the phone has always had AT&T firmware installed on it. And again, it has worked flawlessly from the start with Marshmellow. It was only when Oreo was installed that this problem started. Anyways, I have found a temp solution until a fix is issued. By opening an app that requires location data (eg. Weigh my truck), it seems to force the phone to connect to the LTE network. Thank you for the suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there, so, unfortunately, the problem you are seeing is as simple as the phone being a US device. US phones, both locked and unlocked versions, can use either CDMA or GSM networks. They cannot use both and they are not compatible with other networks. Can I ask where you purchased the phone? This will help us determine which network your model with work with so you can reference this with the Canadian networks in your area

Denialator03
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The phone was purchased on ebay, it has a clean IMEI and is fully unlocked. I don't believe the problem is that the phone is a US device as it had worked flawlessly before the Oreo update. When the phone was on Nougat it would connect to Bell, Telus or Rogers LTE network without any issues.  I believe there's an issue with Oreo that's causing the data not to connect while roaming. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sadly it's not so simple. To be completely honest, I feel you need a new phone purchased in the area you will be most of the time. The issue is still that it's a US model, only more specifically that the phone requires US updates that are not always compatible with other country software and features. If you happen to have a route that takes you by a uBreakiFix, you can try taking the phone to them to see if they can do anything to help. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Denialator03
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

But the phone has always had AT&T firmware installed on it. And again, it has worked flawlessly from the start with Marshmellow. It was only when Oreo was installed that this problem started. Anyways, I have found a temp solution until a fix is issued. By opening an app that requires location data (eg. Weigh my truck), it seems to force the phone to connect to the LTE network. Thank you for the suggestions.