cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gvaeth
Constellation

Re: S7 active phone will not fast charge

JUMP TO SOLUTION

GS7 Edge here.  When I got the Oreo update a wile ago I had the same problem, but several cache clears fixed it.

On 9/29 I applied the offered software update ("monthly" security patches I guess), and that night put the phone on genuine Samsung charger pad. Sure enough, phone was near dead in the morning, so turned off fast charging to get it some juice.

So far no number of cache clears has restored fast charging. Now what?

Config in these screenshots.

userdVt8vZswJk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Agreed I have s7 (not avtive) and I have EXACT same issues! It just randomly stopped fast cable charging, it would drain sometimes while charging (discharging) bought new OEM cables & adapters, the only thing that has worked is buying a charging pad but only the QI OEM leather pad (i think it's for s8, s9 orig. $79. I got mine on Ebay for $25) you see in stores works on FAST wireless charge. No other wireless charging pad works and I had to build up to this 1 working. In the TMobil store the charge would actually fluctuate on the same pad it was crazy! That to mr proves it's a software issue! New update this week did squat...so far. But it is frustrating, my battery never had as n issue could use it all day never drained now its constant. I cant afford a new phone right now this isn't fair. Oh and I love how they tell me they cant take back off in store, I have s7 card in this phone and I'm sure if I bought a new one they'd open it right up!! They just want to force us to upgrade! Sorry I'm not interested in having an iPad sized phone, does my fit in my pocket, dont want to talk on that thing. How about options that also dont cost $1000 how about u just bring back contracts? This whole industry is broken AF

userMj8icLTd1M
Astronaut

Not Solved!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm amazed that Samsung thinks this is solved.

I have three charing stations, all wireless, all Samsung OEM wirelss pads; two using Samsung Fast Charging AC adapters with supplied cables, one using an Anker PowerDrive Speed 2 which supports Quick Charge 3.0.  This is used with a Paracable mico-USB cable, a very high quality cable.

The one using the Anker adapter worked fine for a long time, and then stopped fast charging after a phone update.  

I would really like to know why.  Did Samsung implement some kind of proprietary device protection?  

I am a very good Samsung customer (five phones in the family and four TVs), but if they did this on purpose, I'm done!  

I want a solution to this.

userMj8icLTd1M
Astronaut

Re: Not Solved!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I forgot to mention - it will fast charge with the Anker adapter and the Paracable cable in wired mode, just no longer with the pad.

userH28ZCsVAwx
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same problem here on a boost s7 g930p. Its without a doubt software related. More specifically its related to you screwing the bootloader up to lock modders out and prevent customers from unlocking their equipment themselves. You push these otas down our throats calling them security updates even when we turn updates off.... There they still are. Phone, pocket, accidentally clicked ok when you sat down? Now that powerful phone you paid a premium price for is no better than the $20 tracfone special. Samsung has always been my goto. all my appliances, my tvs all samsung... Now you're playing dirty just like the carriers.... Time for a diverse me thinks

Highlighted
Vivekvarma02
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The problem would be occuring due to many reasons. Firstly, Fast charging depends on several things, like

1) Adapter

2) USB connector

3) Charging port.

Most of the time, Adapter and USB connector are where problem starts. So, i suggest you check your adapter and connector against these below questions.

a) Is it the original adapter that came in the box for your s7 active.

b) Is the USB connector also the one that came in the box.

If you had anytime changed your adapter or USB connector, just check the USB wire, the pins that connect to mobile and also the fast charging depends on the quality of the wire. All third party USB connectors maynot be compatible with your phone and in turn they may damage your phone charging port due to heat generated by using third party connectors.[ occurs due to impedence of USB connectors ].

I prefer we all check these and only use the manufacturer's approved USB connectors, and also be careful charging in car using connectors.

Thank you all, hope i helped you all.

Bartowski
Constellation

Re: S7 active phone will not fast charge - no option to toggle

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi - 

Found this in the archives, I am having the same problem, using 2 different factory fast-charge compliant blocks, no fast charge, and I have no option in the settings / battery to turn it on or off. Was there a software push or the like that killed it? Any help is appreciated!

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You may want to check and see if perhaps there's any debris that got stuck inside your charging port. Give it an inspection and let me know if you notice any buildup, bent pints, or any sort of damage all around.

To give it a good cleaning, you can use a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. If even something is off with one of those pins, the contact points never touch, and I've seen folks lose the ability to fast charge.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

Bartowski
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks - great call, but no love - still won't fast charge. I've tried different cords, but same deal. Any other suggestions? I half wonder if it's software, not hardware? 

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you already done testing and troubleshooting such as updating apps, clearing caches and trying to charge while in Safe Mode?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.